Wireless connections works ... then doesn't (XP Pro)

Wireless connection to the Access Point is shown as Wireless Network Connection Speed: 11.0 mbps Signal strength: Excellent Status: little or no connectivity

But no TCP apps can access the network.

When I open the Wireless Network Connection Status window, I see "Limited or no Connectivity: You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Clicking on the Details button shows the IP address as 169.254.74.76. (This is a self-assigned IP, no?)

When I click the Repair button, I get see "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

When my friend first arrived here, we tried to connect the laptop to the network, unsuccessfully. After poking around, I found that the previous network maven had assigned an IP address manually. I changed this to DHCP (and entered the WEP key), and voila!, it connected to the 'net. For a half hour. Then no network connectivity, again.

I've checked the TCP/IP Properties and "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" is checked.

What can I do to get this computer on the network?

Dell Inspiron 600M (built-in wireless); Windows XP Pro

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC
Loading thread data ...

An IP address of 169.254.x.x usually means you have a misconfiguration. It can be something as simple as changing the channel on your wireless router/AP, however, without knowing what make and model of your wireless router/AP, I suggest you return to the default settings and see if you can connect. If so, Change the SSID to one of your choice and make sure you change the SSID settings with your wireless card's configuration menu. If you can still connect afterwards, enable encryption. If you can still connect okay, make other changes that suits your needs. Let us know how it goes. Take care.

Wireless connection to the Access Point is shown as Wireless Network Connection Speed: 11.0 mbps Signal strength: Excellent Status: little or no connectivity

But no TCP apps can access the network.

When I open the Wireless Network Connection Status window, I see "Limited or no Connectivity: You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Clicking on the Details button shows the IP address as 169.254.74.76. (This is a self-assigned IP, no?)

When I click the Repair button, I get see "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

When my friend first arrived here, we tried to connect the laptop to the network, unsuccessfully. After poking around, I found that the previous network maven had assigned an IP address manually. I changed this to DHCP (and entered the WEP key), and voila!, it connected to the 'net. For a half hour. Then no network connectivity, again.

I've checked the TCP/IP Properties and "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" is checked.

What can I do to get this computer on the network?

Dell Inspiron 600M (built-in wireless); Windows XP Pro

Thanks,

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.