Wireless connection slowly ... disappearing!

Hello

Hopefully someone on here can help me out with a problem I've been having with my wireless internet connection (XP SP2, Netgear wireless card). I've been using a friend's wireless connection for a while, and it's temperamental but generally fine.

However, a couple of days ago, both Opera and Internet Explorer lost browser functionality (both acted as if there was no connection available), but could still send/receive in Outlook and get updates and the like in other software. Funnily, I found that if I could still use a normal Windows Explorer window to browse, and the signal strength, etc, was fine. As of today, however, I can't even get a connection, despite Network Stumbler (and my friend) showing the usual network to be running just fine, and there's no security so it can't be that. XP even lists the network, but when I click to connect to it, nothing happens. I've run updated versions of virus and spyware checkers and they've revealed nothing.

Anyone have any ideas (please!!)?

Paul

Reply to
paul.j.vincent
Loading thread data ...

Paul,

I'd start by looking at "ipconfig /all" from your computer, and from one of your friends computers.

formatting link
Do you have browse ability (looking at your friends computers?) in Network Neighborhood, thru Windows Explorer, even when you "click to connect to it, nothing happens"? I'd look at LSP / Winsock corruption first:

formatting link

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks for your response. I tried all the various solutions from the LSP/Winsock page (all five) and run through much of the advice on your troubleshooting Network Neighborhood page, with no success. What I find particularly peculiar is that the loss of browsing ability occurred midway through a Windows session, rather than after a restart.

ipconfig shows "media disconected". Might it be worth posting the entire response of "ipconfig /all"?

Reply to
paul.j.vincent

Paul,

Anything is possible, if only in your dreams. No, that's what she said, and I apologise for getting off topic here. ;)

Let's look at "ipconfig /all" from the problem computer. For the most possibility though, the same also from any other non problem computer would be more helpful. Looking for clues to a problem like yours could be a challenge.

What virus and spyware checkers did you do? Did you do a heuristic scan with HijackThis or HijackFree? Any expert forum posts that you can link to?

formatting link

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
Socrates

see

formatting link

formatting link

experience.

Reply to
Socrates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.