wireless communication between computers

hi,

I'm trying to assemble a wireless network between two computers. The maximum range is 300m. All the network will do is transfer data from a GPS plus an additional 34 bits of data from one computer to another. Can anyone recommend a cheap, easy to use, off-the-shelf product? Preferably something that connects to the USB or serial port. I can only use an omni-directional antenna since one of the computers will be mobile.

thanks, Jon.

Reply to
jonyt
Loading thread data ...

Sure, but you're in the wrong newsgroup. Try: alt.satellite.gps sci.geo.satellite-nav

You don't need Wi-Fi speeds to transfer 4800 baud GPS data. I would look into one of the 433Mhz, 915MHz, or 2.4Ghz wireless links that offer serial port connectivity. Since you're in Israel, you'll need to check which frequencies and equipment are legal to use.

900meters is too far for Bluetooth, so that's not going to work.

Start with:

There are plenty more, but this should give you an idea of what's available. Search for Google "RS-232 wireless" or "RS-232 radio modem".

I also blundered across wireless rs-232 kits made for robotics.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.