wireless card not finding networks

Hello, I am having a lot of trouble trying to get wireless internet set up. I have a Gateway MX7515 laptop with built in Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet (which I have been using) and Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter (which I am trying to use). I am using WinXP. Recently I bought the D-Link DI-624 router. The LAN connections work fine but the WLAN is not working. I have turned off encryption, upgraded the firmware and fiddled around with the configuration at the

192.168.0.1 setup page. In the network connections section of the WinXP control panel, view available networks tab, I get "no wireless networks were found in range". I don't know much about wireless networks, but I suspect that the problem actually lies with the Broadcom card as opposed to the router. I don't have any other wireless computers available to test with the router. However, I have never found a "network in range" with the laptop, even at hotels where wireless internet is supposedly free. The wireless connection has been enabled by FN + F2 or by right clicking. As far as I know, there is no external button to turn on wireless on this laptop. I assume that the Broadcom network adapter is all that is required for wireless internet (I don't need some kind of seperate USB attachment do I? - just making sure).

If anyone has had a similar problem with the Gateway MX7515 and wireless, or has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
b
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.