Wireless card cannot see any Networks all of a sudden? Why?

Hello,

A Packard Bell laptop in the office seemingly overnight stopped being able to see any available networks.

On the Thursday Norton Security removed and AVG anti virus and firewall professional were installed and for the rest of the day all worked fine with connection - although no one particularly using it - just the odd checking of emails.

On Friday morning , the laptop had lost it's internet connection and was unable to see any wireless networks.

I tried disabling and re-enabling the wireless card but it still cannot see the network. All other laptops in the office can see many wireless networks in the area fine (and there are about 10 to choose from). This one cannot see any.

I have tried disabling AVG and reinstalling drivers.

Could it just be faulty? do wireless cards just die like that?

Note the mini PCI internal card is a: Intel Pro Wireless Lan 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Thank you for any input?

Dave

Reply to
David Smithz
Loading thread data ...

Did you reboot?

Unfortunately, always on computers that are connected to an AP and go into hibernation, do wierd things when the covers opened(turned on etc)...Even worse is when the power saver kicks in and puts it in hibernation/and yuck, turns off the hard disk!

Only thing I have found, since the laptops are always plugged into AC power, is on AC I set it to never hibernate/never turn off (screen saver still works, and on battery all settings are still in effect... Just change em for on AC)

I'm sure there is probably another way to do it, but this worked, and I haven't really messed with it since I got it working...

Keywords that make me think you should check that... A) Laptop B) seemingly overnight

Reply to
Peter Pan

most certainly, many times. Tried running from the battery, tried running from the power source. Reinstalled te drviers (at least the drivers I round on the Intel website that matched the supposed model number of the mini PC card. I tried turning Windows management on and off (although there does not seem to be an alternative management option - when I turn Windows off, the Intel drivers did not offer another software applicaiton that manages the wireless).

So I'm thiunking I might have to buy another mini wireless Laptop card?

Or maybe start with trying a USB one?

Any other suggestions? Any other things I should try? Could AVG ben anything to do with it?

Reply to
David Smithz

FWIW, my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T30 with NETGEAR WG511v1 PC Card (latest drivers) has no problem hibernating and then waking up properly on a wireless network. The only time I run into problems is when I've changed the hardware configuration (e.g., removed Bluetooth dongle or the wireless PC Card) while in hibernation.

Reply to
John Navas

You didn't mention that before... Turn off ANY virus checker/firewall while you are testing things....

As an aside, you did mention it was mainly used intermittently for email and stuff.. I keep all my important data on the network, and reinitializing (restore the emergency backup) works very well.. Done that a few times, and it almost always fixes the problem (you never know what someone has tried that screwed things up).. Think start fresh... What the heck, your important data should be elsewhere.

PS, I have a standard/fresh image (norton ghost) that I can restore fresh when things go to heck (or whenever I get a new computer)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.