wireless card cannot find wireless router when SSID broadcast is off

Hi all,

When I turn off SSID broadcast on my USRobotics8054 router as one of the security measures, the client (equipped with USR wireless PC card 805410) cannot find the router anymore, even though name and channel etc were saved when connected when SSID was still on. This used to work fine on another router, thus I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I thought having SSID broadcast enabled was like hanging a sign in front of the house saying "hack me".

Anyone any thoughts on the matter?

cheers,

BN

Reply to
Bob Newheart
Loading thread data ...

From reading old posts I gather that this problem occurs frequently. I figured getting a wireless router and pc card from a quality name like USR would keep me from such trouble, but there it is. The posts I found mention that turning off SSID broadcast is a superficial meaqsure anyway, as with the simplest and readily available tools (and those with bad intentions will come prepared) the cloaked signal can be found easily anyway. As such you're better off using MAC filtering and WPA, which is what I;'m doing, and leaving SSID broadcast on, at least this way the setup works.

regards,

BN

Reply to
Bob Newheart

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.