Wireless bridging

Any networking guru's out there that can answer a question for me?

I have a belkin 54g wireless router (F5D7230-4) and a belkin 54g access point (F5D7130).

I'm trying to 'wireless bridge' the 2 together to increase my range but it isn't working.

I have the same channel and ssid for both. I have the same encryption for both 128bit hex WEP The router IP is 192.168.2.1 and the AP IP is 192.168.2.254

I have enabled 'wireless bridging' on the router and I have added in the MAC address of the access point.

If I'm connected to the access point then I can't get anywhere else - ie: it's not getting routed back through the router.

Has anyone got this to work?

Thanks David

Reply to
simoond
Loading thread data ...

yes. The belkin documentation refers to the "wireless bridging" option on the router setup but it is actually configuring a wireless range extender - or so they claim

Reply to
simoond

I'm assuming you have read the destructions for this process?

formatting link
and have entered mac addresses as described, and they are within range of each other? This type of link is also known as WDS I think by some.

Good Luck

Reply to
ravingx

yes. i did all that. I can connect to the AP but it doesn't connect back to the router like i expect it should.

Reply to
simoond

I got it working. I had to manually download the latest firmware for the AP - it kept saying it was up to date when i did it from the AP setup menu. Once the firmware was updated it worked.

Reply to
simoond

Sounds to me like what you wan is wireless repeating not wireless bridging which is different. Bridging means that you pop in ethernet one end, wirelessly bridge and then pop out ethernet at the other end. That's not quite what I think you're wanting from the description.

The best solution is to run a piece of cat 5 to the access point from the router and then it will work. If you want to use the access point as a repeater then it will have to have that mode, sorry it's not one I know and i'm not about to go and read the manual. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

It sounds a bit like you're doing what I am trying to do but am without the equipment in hand at the moment.

Are you using a wireless access point connected to the wireless bridge, so that you can see distant wifi points using a wireless (laptop or desktop with wifi), or something else?

Thanks

L8R

Skip, wrestling with conflicts with senao gear

Reply to
Skip Gundlach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.