"Wireless Bridge" vs "Wireless Access Point"

Hi All,

I've got an existing wireless network in my house in my house based on a Netgear combined modem/router/wap. This works fine, but I have one computer which only has an ethernet port and can't be upgraded which I'd like to use on the wireless network.

My research so far seems to suggest that I need to buy a wireless bridge such as

formatting link
then I discovered this:
formatting link
has confused me about the difference between an access point and a bridge. Can I use an access point to achieve what I need? There seem to be a few of these around which are cheaper than the bridges...

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
news
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Mar 2007 09:53:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@snowstone.org.uk wrote in :

What you need is a wireless Ethernet [client] bridge; e.g., Buffalo Wireless-G High Power Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-G54HP (recommended).

An access point is a _host_, and won't do what you want. You need a _client_ bridge. (Some access points can be switched to client bridge mode, but most cannot.)

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@snowstone.org.uk hath wroth:

What you need is an "ethernet client bridge". See the FAQ at:

for definitions and:

for specific models. Not all listed will work so check the data sheet first.

See John's answer for the correct Buffalo model.

Join the club of confused users. *ALL* wireless is bridging. Therefore everything is technically called a wireless bridge. From that point, marketing hype and a fertile imagination have conspired to create considerable confusion. Look for the word "client" and you'll probably do fine.

Maybe. Some model access points and wireless routers have a client mode that will work. It really depends on the model.

In general, wireless routers are cheaper than access points and client bridges because far more of them are sold.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff, John, that's helped. :) I'll see what I can find...

Adam

Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.