Wireless bridge or wirless router?

Go to this website and check out thier configuration with a cantenna.

formatting link

Reply to
Wraith
Loading thread data ...

I need to WiFi enable my PS2 (which only has ethernet connectivity), since a PC with ICS and my router are both too far away to lay cable.

As wirelss bridges like Linksys' WET54G are nearly as expensive as WiFi routers, like the WRT54G, can/should I use the latter as this has more functionality?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

news.ntlworld.com cried out

if they are too far awawy to lay ethernet (328foot max) then they are most likely WAAY too far for wifi

Reply to
Rosco

news.ntlworld.com cried out

just for laughs linksys game adapters

formatting link

Reply to
Rosco

why dont u go for a wap54g? its a gaming adapter from linksys which would suit ur needs. check out the linksys website for more details

Reply to
lavinmansukhani

Rosco hath wroth:

Just a minor note on cable. I have several installations running about 900-1000ft of either 10base2 Cheapernet coax or CAT5 that work just fine. The limiting factors are:

1. It has to be 10baseT-HDX (10mbits/sec half-duplex). 100baseT won't work.
  2. No taps allowed on the coax. Each end must be a either a 10base2 transceiver or a 10baseT hub or switch.
  3. RG-6/u will work even though it's NOT 50 ohms. At these long lengths, any VSWR will never been seen as the attenutation is way too high to cause problems. However, don't try it with short lengths of coax as the reflections will be a problem.

I can expound more on this if your interested. There's also some stuff I've scribbled on the topic in the archives.

formatting link
formatting link
(etc...)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

No, it's just not practical to lay the cable

Reply to
__spc__

You could use router/AP as a "client", I suppose. It would be somewhat "bulky" and you'd have to disable much of it's functionality (especially DHCP). Unless you plan on setting up an additional network down the road, probably make more sense to just go with an adapter.

I'm using a DWL-810+ wireless-ethernet adapter for both my PS2 and Dreamcast (with the DC BBA, obviously). Works great, even with a cheap little hub in front of it allowing both the PS2 and DC to be connected (not supported by DLink, but it works). DWL-810+'s can be found for like $25 to $30. In addition to the PS2/DC one, I have another one and considering picking up yet another as they work great for piddly stuff (consoles) on my 802.11b "junk" network.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Just to add: never had any latency problems with them being used for consoles even though they aren't so-called "game adapters". I've even used them with a network printer and they worked great.

Reply to
Eric
[snip]

Thanks for this info. :-)

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.