Wireless between two Buffalo WHR-G54S

I have two Buffalo Tech WHR-G54S Router/Access Points.

One is set up as a wireless router. DHCP on, wireless enabled, SSID changed from default. The WAN port is plugged into my Ambit cable modem, my computer is plugged into a LAN port. I have the internet (this is coming through it).

The second WHR-G54S is to be an access point upstairs. I have tested it hooked up to a LAN port on the first router, and it works.

What do I need to set between the two WHR-G54S so that I can set the second up as an access point upstairs?

SSIDs should be the same Security on both needs to match (in this case AES) DHCP on downstairs, DHCP off upstairs.

Anything that is missing?

Reply to
Louis Ohland
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:06:50 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote in :

Either:

• Cable connection between them (Ethernet, power line networking, phone line networking, TV coax networking)
  • Upstairs unit configured as a repeater.(if possible, cuts wireless speed in half)

Connecting the two units.

Reply to
John Navas

If the two units will not be connected via Ethernet, you'll need to configure them for WDS, described in the manual starting on page 67. This will require that both be set to the same channel and will, if using the stock Buffalo firmware, limit the security method to WEP.

Reply to
Neill Massello

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:21:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com (Neill Massello) wrote in :

Which isn't real security, and thus isn't advisable.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Buffalo can run 3rd-party firmware (e.g., OpenWRT) and is a good choice for doing so.

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:14:19 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Louis Ohland hath wroth:

See list at:

I'm partial to DD-WRT and OpenWRT.

Installing DD-WRT on Buffalo products is a bit tricky as Buffalo encrypts their firmware. See:

You'll also need to do some "boardflags" tweaking to get it to work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
works great for your router:

formatting link

Reply to
seaweedsteve

formatting link
This is what I'm looking for to the "T". Look at the "Practical Example" further down the page.

I already pulled the WHR-G54S section out from the DD-WRT install page and am getting ready to PDF it. I see the bummer part on TFTP for the initial flash to DD-WRT, but subsequent flashes may be done with http.

I think the boardflags were for the WHR-HP units only, and it was to enable the on-board amplifier.

After a bit more surf> Louis Ohland hath wroth:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Louis Ohland hath wroth:

Why is the above URL relevant or important?

See further down the page under Conclusions: Both OpenWRT and DD-WRT still, as of version 2.3, cannot do a client mode connection to an AP using WPA security...

As usual, the author doesn't bother to supply the full DD-WRT version number and build so there's no way to tell if it ever was fixed. Note that he also disabled 802.1x authentication which is REQUIRED for WPA encryption.

Incidentally, my home WRT54GS v3.0 router with DD-WRT:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Already looked at your router, but the pressing question is the correct firmware.

Do I have to flash mini first?

What bin do I want?

Generic WRT54G WRT54GS WRT54GSv4 (most likely not) WRTL54GS

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Louis Ohland hath wroth:

No. That was only for buggy versions of the Linksys firmware that would not allow flash images over 3MBytes big. Linksys fixed the problem many revisions ago.

Generic. See step number 6 in:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.