Wireless bandwidth restriction

I have a D-Link DI-634M wireless mimo adsl router

formatting link
. Does anyone know if you can limit the amount of bandwidth used by a specified user or MAC address on the network? Is there any kind of free software that can be used to tell the router to only allow a certain amount of bandwidth for user X?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
<nospam
Loading thread data ...

I dont believe DLink has that capability, but other, higher-end routers do.

Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

Although this router cannot restrict the bandwidth of a given user there are programs that will do this for you. All you do is install the program on your pc and it will configure the network according to your specifications. You can restrict access bandwidth by mac, time of day and even type of traffic. I'll see if I can find that beast for ya and post the info here.

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link
and Software Support Forums Free Broadband Speed Test Free Web Hosting and eBay image hosting (no banners, no popups, NO JOKE!) Free Music Streams (1 Office Safe, 1 Not Office Safe) No Banners, No Popups, No Advertising of ANY Type

Reply to
ISPgeek

hath wroth:

No. Two problems.

1. Dlink has QoS but only by type of service, not by user IP or MAC. See this page in your router:

Crude. I'm not sure I would even call that thing QoS but I guess Dlink does.

1. I use several bandwidth managers that run on PC's and insert them between the DSL modem and the router. For example, dummynet:
    formatting link
    formatting link
    problem with the DI-634M is that it has an internal DSL modem and there's no place to insert the QoS control box. This is yet another reason why methinks conglomerated all in one units are not a great idea.

I'm not sure what to suggest as just about anything needed to control the bandwidth will require replacing the DI-634M.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dlink have a slightly more, um, sophisticated version they call Gamefuel. Hmm. The emulator's here, but I have no idea how to log in to it:

formatting link
I see there's some new firmware too. Anyway, look under Advanced/Gamefuel, if you know how to log in to the emulator.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Click login No password

Reply to
NetSteady

Not used this myself

formatting link
would be interested a feed back

Reply to
NotMe

I guess you're responding to my post about the DGL 4300. I tried that, it didn't go anywhere. That's with Firefox. Hang on, I'll try a different browser -- nope, doesn't work with Safari either.

Reply to
Warren Oates

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:58:19 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

Not possible, as Jeff has pointed out.

p.s. Please do a better job of trimming your quotes. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

The login works with IE7 but doesn't work with Firefox 2.0. I'm too lazy to try the others (opera, Netscape, Slimbrowser). However, you can bypass the initial login in Firefox by going directly to the URL. Try:

Looks like GameFuel rules are per protocol and per source and destination IP address, not per MAC address.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Just for comparison, this is what the DD-WRT QoS page looks like:

Note that rules can be by MAC address. Also note the pull down under "Service Priority" which includes the usual list of IP service, but also adds a large number of common online games. That sure saves a bunch of effort building per-port rules.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.