Wireless "B" vs. "G" and security question

Hi all, I have a Linksys "Wireless-B" wpc11 card in a Compaq laptop, running XP. My problem is I can't get it to accept the password for my Netgear router when I set the router for the highest security (WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]) settings. The computer connects only when I use no security options. I'm wondering if the "B" card is too old for this level of security, or if the problem lies elsewhere. Thanks for any ideas,

Rog

Reply to
Roger
Loading thread data ...

Roger hath wroth:

Any particular model Netgear wireless router?

Any particular hardware version number of the WPC11?

There are some 802.11b cards that support WPA and possibly WPA2. That's because they do the encryption in software, and not on the card. The WPC11 data sheet only mentions WEP and not WPA. However, that could have been added in the driver at a later date. I'm going to be lazy and NOT look at all 4 hardware versions of the WPC11 to check for WPA and WPA2 support. Start here:

Select your version and see if the drivers or instructions mention WPA. If you can select WPA encryption from the "client manager" interface, WPA is certainly supported.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're right. The card apparently only likes WEP. See below and look at the Users Guide. I assumed you had version 1, but pick whatever you have.

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

(User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X)

Look after that card!

Your card has a Prism chipset and can all sorts of nice things, like operate in promiscuous mode and do passive monitoring with KisMAC.

Take a look here:

You can find wireless networks with SSID broadcasts disabled, reinject packets in replay attacks and crack^H^H^H^H^Krecover WEP keys.

A very, very nice card to have.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Wow and I just wanted to "get on the internet!" Seriously though--not sure what you're talking about. Can you elaborate?

Rog

Reply to
Roger

I'll swap you a card that can :-)

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Well you pointed me to KisMac to take advantage of this card, but my question referred to a pc card for a Compaq laptop, so I'm confused.

Rog

Reply to
Roger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.