wireless b and g compatibility issues

I have an issue with my notebook which has a b/g wireless card built in. It connects to my wireless access point at only the b speed. The WAP I have is the Linksys 4400N and I have changed the settings on it to G/N mode only. I don?t know what?s going on but my notebook is still only connecting to it at max speed of 18Mbps, which is slow considering.

I have even changed the wireless mode settings of my notebook to

802.11g only. I get an ?excellent? signal strength and I don?t understand why the connection is still so slow.

I have the latest drivers installed according to driver detective so I don?t think it?s a driver issue.

It?s a real pain considering I stream DivX video across the wireless connection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
arthur
Loading thread data ...

How are you determining that the connection is 18Mbps? If that is download throughput, it might be all you can get. A 54g connection is good for around 20-24. If you are seeing a raw connection of 18Mbps, and throughput of 10Mbps, then there may be interference. Can you "find" other networks? Have you tried changing the channel on your WAP?

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.