Wireless and IE won't mix

Did you have a previous dialup connection on the laptop? In IE look under Tools, Internet options, Connections and check never dial a connection. Just one possibility......

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I'm a newbie at all this wireless stuff and I am having a problem. I just got cable internet and added a Belkin Pre-N router. I have no problems with connecting through my desktop. When I use my laptop with the Belkin Pre-N Wireless card, I can connect but it will not let me use Internet Explorer. I get this message: The page cannot be displayed. I can use Netscape but not IE. Some of my programs won't open in Netscape. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get IE to open? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

loony

Reply to
loonyhiker

"loonyhiker" wrote in news:V2IZd.5790$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

Under IE try disabling Automatic Configuration. Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Lan Settings.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

"loonyhiker" wrote in news:V2IZd.5790$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

If you can make a wire connection with the laptop does it do the same thing?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You might talk to the wizard under tools,internet options,connections,setup. Seeing how you were on a dialup it might be worth a shot, you now connect through a Lan connection.....

Reply to
Airhead

When I make the wire connection, I still can't get IE.

I tried disabling automatic configuration and that didn't work either.

I also clicked never dial up since that is what I had before but that didn't help either.

Anybody have any other suggestions? I'm willing to try anything!

Reply to
loonyhiker

Thank you everyone! I went back today and redid everything that was suggested and it worked! I'm not sure which one of the suggestions worked but something did and now it works! You are all angels! Thanks again.

Reply to
loonyhiker

"loonyhiker" wrote in news:ApUZd.57592$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga:

If all you're having is page cannot be displayed using the browser and no other Internet problems like cannot send/recv emails with OE or other Internet problems from other Internet access programs, then with IE, you might want to go to Tools/Options and push the Delete Temporary Files button to delete old pages that IE may be holding on to that could be holding on to dial-up connection parameters.

See if that is your problem.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You need to make sure your DNS is set to the router's IP and that your

computer's IP is in the range of the router's IP and that subnet mask

is set right and then it should work. Only one number has to be wrong

by one digit and no fire.

Glenn

Reply to
gwoiler

"loonyhiker" wrote in news:5v2_d.29738$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga:

I'll bet some $$$ that IE was trying to use cached web pages that were locked in on the old connection. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm having the same problem with my wireless LAN connection. Internet

programs (not just Internet Explorer) work on one LAN, but not another.

I can't always get the one they work with. I've tried all the

suggestions above, but it still doesn't work. If you have any more

ideas I'd love to hear them, thanks.

Reply to
darkladyofravens

darkladyofravens wrote in news:darkladyofravens.1msfrm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com:

Hello,

Just what are your problems in detail please? Maybe, I can help or someone else may step in with some possible solutions once details are given.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Who are you talking to? What problem?

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

I have a similar problem, when I try to connect to a wireless local

area network (LAN) it will connect to the network, but any programs

that use the internet, like Internet Explorer and AIM, don't work.

Reply to
darkladyofravens

On the laptop try going to a "command prompt" and type in "ipconfig /renew" and see if this helps. If not, unplug the modem, and router, and shut down the desktop. After 10 minutes restart the modem, then the router, then turn on the desktop. Try using IE from the laptop again.

Dave G

"darkladyofravens" wrote in message news:darkladyofravens.1mucaa@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...

Reply to
Dave G

I have the same problem as darklady and looney had; I have a Belkin Pre-N router (that I'm typing this through) that works fine for wired connections, but I have but a laptop using XP and a desktop using 98SE that I'm trying to connect wireless, but while they will both connect and get an IP address, nothing seems to be able to talk through the connection (no IE, no Explorer network connections, etc.). I've tried rebooting everything, I've reinstalled the adapter software on the desktop about ten times trying different things, and I end up with the same result. (The adapter is a Belkin Wireless G Desktop card; no, the Pre-N card won't work with Win 98SE). I've triple checked all the network and IE settings, per above suggestions. Any more ideas?

Rick

Dave G wrote:

in

Belkin

Reply to
rveraburgos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.