wireless adapter for Netgear FWAG114 & Hitachi 7590 VisionBook 64k

wireless adapter for Netgear FWAG114 & Hitachi 7590 VisionBook 64k

The subject tells it all. I would like something inexpensive but with a decent range. I'd love to spend $20 but I would go as high as $50.

Any suggestions

Reply to
alan
Loading thread data ...

I forgot to add that I am running Windows 98 on it.

Hitachi is going to send my my extra memory card back so I should get the memory up to 128 or 144meg.

Reply to
alan

Good fast cheap. Pick two.

The FWAG114 will do 802.11a/b/g wireless. However, with the old laptop, you may be able to only find 802.11b cards that will work.

I can't be sure but I think the old VisionBook uses 16 bit PCMCIA cards and will not fit a 32 bit Cardbus wireless card. That's the way it's on my Hitachi E-133T/810 which is similar but older. There are a few odd 16bit PCMCIA 802.11g cards around, but I can't seem to remember or find the model numbers.

For 16 bit PCMCIA wireless cards, I like Orinoco Classic Silver or Gold cards, mostly because I have a pile of them.

formatting link
can be found on eBay. The cheapest "buy it now" price I found is $36 plus $7 shipping. There are plenty of other 16bit PCMCIA wireless cards available. Just make sure that they're not a Cardbus connector and that there are Windoze 98SE drivers available. If you're running the original incantation of Windoze 98, I strongly recommend you upgrade to Windoze 98 Second Edition.

This might help with the older cards:

formatting link
labeled "PCMCIA" will probably work if it has a W98SE driver. The cards labeled "CardBus" will not fit.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I forgot to mumble why I like the old "classic" Orinoco cards. Under Windoze 98SE and ME, Netstumbler 0.3.30 works very nicely. (0.4.0 doesn't work at all for me). They also have a very convenient external antenna connector with commonly available pigtails.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.