wireless access point woes

Hello,

I wanted to extend the range of my wired network to a few laptops. Here' what I have and where I've gone thus far:

Wired router is D-link EBR-2310 connected to the cable modem and connected to two PCs.

Wireless router is Belkin F5D7230-4 (don't get me started on this thing) set up in access point mode. Then I have a normal ethernet cable attached between a LAN port on this divice and an open LAN port on the D-Link. This is contrary to the user manual, but does not work when in the WLAN port.

Wired D-Link: DHCP Off IP 192.168.0.1

Wireless Belkin: DHCP Off IP 192.168.0.35 WAP-SPK Enabled

Now, on any PC wired to the d-link everything is smooth sailing and I can even connect to the wireless AP's http configuration. On a laptop, connected wirelessly with a static IP of 192.168.0.65 I can connect to either router's http configuration, and ping anything on the network. What does NOT work is anything beyond the network. The laptop cannot connect to web pages or even ping anything outside the network.

I read other setup instructions and they all said to connect the wireless AP's LAN port to one of the wired LAN ports via a crossover cable. I have a dozen cables and I know for certain that two of them are crossovers, but I can't identify which.. haha.

I'm about to pull out my hair here so any help is appreciated.

Reply to
cbuckreu
Loading thread data ...

I've got the same Belkin unit setup in the same way as you describe, for the same purpose, no problem, works great.

Apart from using a 3COM router, the only major difference is that I have DHCP enabled on the 3COM.

I'm no expert, but I suspect this is where you are having a problem.

Try it with DHCP enabled on the D-Link, and not using static IPs as well.

You have it wired correctly, and with DHCP do not need a crossover cable.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Also forgot to mention that it works OK with WPA-PSK.

Cheers again.

Rob

Reply to
me here

I have a dozen cables and I know for certain that two of them

If you want to identify a crossover cable, Google it.

Reply to
Curly Bill

Thanks a ton, that fix worked perfectly! Turned on DHCP on the D-link router, set laptops to use automatic detection, reboot the routers and bingo, works like a charm.

Chris

Reply to
cbuckreu

Or just plug them in and see which ones work as you expect?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

According to the documentation on my d-link router, it does not care. It will tell you is a regular or crossover cable, but it automatically adjusts if you get it 'wrong'. Check out your router's 'status' page, pulg & unplug a few cables. I don't have a crossover cable here, so can't test that idea.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Of course, with his luck he'll be plugging into at least one device that can auto sense.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.