formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Little late for April fool's day?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

This showed up at thinkgeek on Saturday, I guess.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

its only a proprietary special case for a protocol from the IETF: Electricity over IP:

formatting link
--

Reply to
stephen

Jeff, they work great, but it will only handle upto 10 amps??

do I need a bigger dish??

Bob NA6T

Reply to
meme

Once sent a new guy in this shop I was working in (low these many years ago) to get us a bucket of 220. He actually went to the warehouse asking where it was.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

Methinks the original version was a bucket of pneumatic fluid.

Did you know your computer will go twice as fast if you plug it into

220vac instead of 117vac?

You can really tell that cordless and wireless are big things in computers. Just look at any of the major computer system vendors printed advertisements. Do you see any cables or wires? Nope. Not even a power cord. Cables and wires are bad. I posted this to comp.dcom.wiring a few years ago: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

After reading the above link, can I assume you and plantif number x are no longer living together . he wire thing is women, what guy doesn't love shuffling through a tangle of wires, but what wife doesn't give him fits about it. My work room is simpley no longer visited due to the mess with the wires...

Reply to
Rico

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

My attorney has advised me not to answer such questions.

I think it's a question of degree:

formatting link
formatting link
's also a good clue as to why I like wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually though, I wonder about the safety of living/working in an environment so filled with ultra high freq RF. All those little blue teeth, add in my wifi and the cell phone (the only reason I have a wired phone is for the DSL) could make for a pretty active environment, Longer term can this be good for gene structure? Also I have resisted wireless keyboards and mice so far as they all seem to need batteries. IMO better to use power from the wall then constantly be off to Walmart for batteries, but that really is just me.

Reply to
Rico

Rico

It looks like you might be a candidate for moving to Mendocino, califonria. The only city in california that has BANNED cell phone and WIFI.

You talk on your cell phone, my god, the cellphone has more power output than all the wifi in your office.-- AND you hold it next to your head. I really don't think you hold your router up to your ear to use it, do you?

By moving , you could really divorce yourself from RF and live in a town that if FULL of wires and cables,,,

But you know it's funny, even though they have banned cellphones, wifi and the 20th century I can turn my laptop on, load netstumbler and on the last trip through town I counted 64 access points/router/extenders in a town that measures 1 mile square if you really streech the measuring tape,,,

get use to it, join the 21th century or trade you computer for an abacus and then go to the doctor for finger cramps

Bob Smith NA6T Robert Smith Consulting

Reply to
Bob Smith

Virtually all studies show no health risk.

Reply to
John Navas

You're right. I don't worry much about the radiation (I'm not planning to use my genes for anything :-) ) but it can't be _good_ for you, even if it can't be shown to be bad for you.

I have a wireless mouse. What a _dumb_ mistake. It won't happen again. In the first place, there's the battery issue. I think I needed new batteries two weeks after I got it - so now I pull the battery whenever I'm not using the computer (and naturally, the battery holder's almost shot - it's not intended for battery replacement on a daily basis). Then there's the lack of the wire - I keep dropping the mouse. The wired mouse in my office is actually fastened to the keyboard tray, so that when I drop it it swings two inches off the floor. My wireless mouse at home just hits the ground :-(

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Well, I've been working with RF since the stone age. Other than a declining bank balance, hair loss, premature aging, and an inability to see the ever shrinking components, I can see no detrimental effects. There have been studies that show that exposure to RF, in the presence of attorneys, does cause multiple mysterious symptoms. Think of the attorneys as a catalyst.

Work out the numbers. Your cell phone is about 600mw maximum. Few modern cell phones belch more than 100m watts. Bluetooth is about

10mw. WiFi runs about 35mw. Cordless phones about 10mw.

However, it's not the power that causes the problem. It's the proximity. Exposure is by the square of the distance. Absorption is by the cube of the distance. The closer you get, the more your exposure. Based on that criteria, the most dangerous would be Bluetooth headsets because they are closest.

The rate of mutation is affected by far more than non-ionizing radiation. Chemical attack is far more common for genetic damage. However, the effect of men wearing pants as opposed to an open dress is far more important in reducing genetic damage. The increased genital temperature caused my mens clothing is one of the leading causes of generic damage. Incidentally, number one cause is delayed parenthood. Radiation (ionizing and non-ionizing) is way down the list.

Wireless mice and keyboards operate at 27MHz and belch perhaps 5mw of power.

I use rechargeable NiCd batteries.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're kidding? Digging.... nope, you're not kidding.

formatting link
Incidentally, from the lastest Wireless Week Magazine, the level of acceptability for using cell phones at various locations: Location Acceptability Cars 63% Grocery Stores 66% Bathrooms 38% Restaurants 21% Movies 2% From a 2006 Harris poll of 2000 adults in the US, 86% of which were cell phone owners.

Well, you could just get some RF shielded clothing. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
I'm currently involved in a debate on the effectiveness of such clothing. Start here: |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not NiMH?! Why?

Reply to
John Navas

So what if it's not "good" for you?

I love my rechargeable cordless mouse. Never even come close to dropping it.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Because I have a substantial collection of 678 ma-hr AA NiCad and some AAA NiCad batteries. Using 2100ma-hr NiMH might be better, but the drain on my Logitech wireless mouse is so little, that the greater self-discharge for NiMH might negate the benifits. I'm too lazy to do the calculations. I recharge the NiCads about once every 3 to 4 weeks, which is good enough.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So what? Did I say I was avoiding wireless. I'm on this newsgroup aren't I? I live off-grid, which means all my internet & phone connections are wireless. It doesn't concern me - but even so, radiation is _not_ good for cells.

Fine, you're more coordinated than I am. My wife doesn't have a problem either. It's still something that most people won't think of, and there are plenty of people like me who aren't capable of keeping a mouse on the mousepad.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

But not necessarily _bad_ for them either. [shrug]

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.