wireless 1st time

Hi folks, got a problem with my wireless network I am 'trying' to set up. I have an ADSL BT modem which is connected to my pc via USB and connected to the main phone line via a Micro Filter. My dad's pc is downstairs and I am trying to get his to share my broadband connection via wireless. I have installed a D-Link Wireless PCI Card into his pc and mine and they work fine. I have also connected a D-Link DSL-902 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router DSL-G604T via Ethernet cable to my internal NIC port, and everything looks ok. But the instruction book says I have to connect the ADSL connector to the router but I cannot see how this can work as there is no ADSL connection from my pc into the main phone line now. Am I missing something here or do I need another cable somewhere? Hope someone understands what I mean and can help me finish this as it is driving me bonkers! TIA

Wi-Fi Newbie

Reply to
Davie B
Loading thread data ...

That's the problem. Sounds to me like you have one of those little BT modems which only has USB?

If that's the case, just junk it and replace it with the Dlink DSL902 then connect both your machine and your fathers via wireless to the new router.

You have the right bits, you're just plugging them into the wrong place.

Yep, it'll look ok but just not right. You could do it this way by using internet connection sharing but trust me, don't bother, you have all you need if you connect it up right.

Quite, remove the BT modem and plug the Dlink into the ADSL port in the phone line via the microfilter. You could connect your PC to the router via a wired connection if it suits you better.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The ADSL connector will connect the router to the phone line.The router will handle the connection to broadband. You and your dad then share the broadband signal on the router.

formatting link
HTH

----------------------------- Web Design for Wise Owls -

formatting link

Reply to
Harry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.