Wired home network.

All the rage is wireless.

I have relatively easy access to install wire from 1st floor to 2nd floor. I currently use broadband cable.

What hardware do I need to get in order to connect two upstairs pc with two downstairs PC's. the main access I would like is for all four to have internet broadband ability. I am not terribly interested in file sharing, but that would be okay, as long as I can restrict access to some directories...

thanks

Reply to
NoName
Loading thread data ...

"NoName" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

What you need is a NAT router one that has the wire Ethernet connection and also has a wireless access point (WAP) function too.

formatting link
You should try to get a *G* version wire/wireless router that does logging so that you can watch connections to possible dubious remote Internet IP(s) by LAN machines behind the router by using something like Wallwatcher.

formatting link

Access restrictions are based on the O/S such as a NT based O/S like XP to restrict access to Share folders on the machine by other machines on the LAN (Local area Network).

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Assuming you want all four PCs to have wireless, put a wireless access point on each floor, configure them for "roaming" (same SSID, different channels), and connect each via Ethernet cable to a router near the cable modem. Configure the file sharing options and firewall on each PC and use the strongest form of wireless encryption supported by all your hardware and operating systems.

Reply to
Neill Massello

It may be "all the rage", but it is not as good as wired: not as fast (if that matters), and certainly not as secure.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Thanks to all who responded..

Speed is possibly important, but security is more important to me. I don't doubt that a wireless home network is faster than cable modem (broadband). So any faster speed wouldn't be terribly necessary. I am not moving extremely large files from downstairs to upstairs. Though I do have large capacity external harddrive for that, if necessary, again, not very fast.

I am pretty ignorant here, on the home network subject. What hardware would I need? where would it be located? All pc's are less than three years old two are less than one. and all run Windows XP home.

Reply to
NoName

Have you looked at the powerline networking options? No wireless, just plug a unit into each mains socket and that then has an ethernet port on it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I am looking for wired home network.

Reply to
NoName

I am aware the technology exists. THAT might be a good choice. I simply wish to stay away from wireless, from a security issue, yet wish to connect four or five PC's or an occasional laptop via wired circuit to share broadband internet (cable modem).

Who are the vendors? are there many to choose from? who's is more user friendly, and robust. What works and what doesn't?

do i need router? switch? again, i have two PC's downstairs and two PC's upstairs. and there are a few friends who have laptops and my wife's work laptop (which could connect via wire) to "black box" that allows access to my cable modem/port.

Reply to
NoName

There's lots of jargon -- and even some nonsense and superstition -- connected with wireless networking. You might find it helpful to get one of the introductory books on the subject before you start buying hardware. I'm partial to Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking Starter Kit , but there are several others.

Reply to
Neill Massello

No. HomePlug 1.0 is encrypted. See reference below. Note that the key exchange mechanism is NOT the same as wi-fi.

Only if they were on the same phase of the same transformer. Generally, there are a maximum of about 10 houses on each pole xformer, split into 2 phases. Chances are 1 in 5 that your signal will leak to the neighbors.

No. The power xformer passes 50/60Hz and not much else. HomePlug works at 4.5 to 21Mhz with notch filters in the ham bands.

True.

Technical description of HomePlug 1.0 specification at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Duane, if you are *not* some kind of a clown, why do you post pictures of yourself with a bulb nose, long shoes, a painted face and wearing a polka-dot jumpsuit?

That *is* the mental image your articles generate...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Odd that you're asking in a wireless newsgroup! :)

Dunno, never used them myself but Google helps

formatting link

Don't know, what do you already have that connects you to the Internet? All that the powerline network dongles will do is save you running a piece of wire so if you have a couple of machines upstairs then a small switch and likewise downstairs unless the router there already has a few ports spare. If not, another switch downstairs.

If you just have a cable modem right now, then you'll need a cable router (or any router that provides NAT to the LAN side).

So you'll go:-

[Cable modem]--[switch]--[powerline]-------[powerline]--[switch]

The left hand switch is optional depending on how many ports there are on the router.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Are power line networks confronted with the same security problems that a home wireless setup has? That is, could someone in the house next door tap into their neighbor's power line network? Would the signal travel back up to the power line through the transformer? Even if not, it is common practice to supply power to more than one house from the same transformer. Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

"NoName" wrote in news:1s2dnZDaNLgVnp_eRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

There are some fine people in the NG that know a lot of things. However, you're in the wrong NG. You should be asking questions in the comp.secuirty.firewall NG possibly. You should be asking about Ethernet wire high-end FW routers or low-end FW appliances, which are basically plug it up and go devices with the abilities to configure the set-up of the devices to your needs.

Brand names like Sonicwall, SnapGear, Watchguard, Netgear and ZyXel are just a few brand names.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Balls, he just wants a home LAN he doesn't need to go asking in a firewalls group about which firewall is best. That lot can't even decide what a firewall actually is it seems.

There are plenty of domestic boxes that will be more than adequate.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

How do you know what some needs? Oops, I forgot you're the Gretest Internet Natzie of all times -- forgive GIN - *D*. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You'll never learn will you? :)

I just want to get it right for *righteous* one as I was laughing too hard when I wrote it.

How do you know what someone needs? Oops, I forgot you're the Greatest Internet Natzie -- forgive me GIN - *D*. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you follow the thread, you can get an idea of the problem and the sought after solution. This one is for a network. The OP has indicated that he doesn't know if he needs a router or a switch or what. From that it's pretty safe to infer that just sending him to a firewalls group where they bicker about what is and what isn't a firewall. (See previous thread history if you can't remember)

The OP clearly stated he wanted a wired LAN and equipment suggestions, not a lesson in discussing the specifics of a firewall.

See, it's pretty easy when you read the question.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Duane, I have stated quite simply that when you post technical stuff that's misguided, i'll offer an alternate view.

On the other hand, if you want to continue to make yourself look foolish, please continue. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent, it wouldn't be fair.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

Look you maron, I gave the OP some information on brand names he could look at and another NG he could also talk to other people. It's not a technical debate you jackass. The OP has to make his own decisions as to what he needs based on information that he has been given. The OP has already indicated that he is not technical and doesn't know what he needs so why go there?

You keep posting to me like you're some kind of a spurned *clown* about nothing.

Get a life David better yet go find a *woman* and be happy.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.