Wired Connection

I need some basic step-by-step directions as I ain't got a clue what I am doing.

I have a laptop computer with a wireless card in it. I am having problems connecting wirelessly to my router and so I have been advised to connect wired to get the settings.

I don't have an Ethernet port on my laptop and so I have bought a USB-to-Ethernet adaptop. So my set-up is now basically USB/Ethernet connection to my router.

Now how do I go about getting the settings and connecting to the internet? I have opened IE6 but to no avail. What settings do I have to change?

As I said, I am unsure as to what I am doing here and so would appreciate all the help I can get.

PS: On a side note, I am using a Belkin wireless PMACIA (or whatever its called) card and I have read somewhere that if you use Windows to configure your connection, this causes problems. Nonetheless, I cannot seem to find more info on this and so, cannot rectify this problem.

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy
Loading thread data ...

Can you ping the router? (Open a command prompt and 'ping [ip address of router]'

Reply to
SD

these are well worth reading through

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Name

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy

You can ping the router from a wired or (wireless) connection. May I suggest you get on the phone with the manufactures of your wireless equipment and let them talk/walk you through the setup of you equipment.

That's what they are there for is for you to use -- get it over.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have tried to ping the router wirelessly but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.