wired and wireless connection

I just got a notebook and setup a secure wireless connection. Is it ok to have both connections running at same time?

Reply to
mooky
Loading thread data ...

mooky hath wroth:

Yes. Looks like you're using Windoze Media Center Edition. TCP/IP has a priority scheme called "Metrics". Windoze gives priority to the higher speed connections. That means that Windoze will send all the packets via ethernet and sorta ignore wireless. However, as soon as you unplug the ethernet cable, it will automagically revert to wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This brings up a question for me. I had a dell latitude laptop at work and I used to connect to our wireless network and to a wired network (seperate from the lan with the wireless ap) so I could have internet (via wireless) but still communicate via the wired to the phone system or whatever I was working on. IP on wired always manually assigned with no gateway. One day, it stopped working. I figured I had changed something to mess it up I played with the metrics but never got it working. I received a new HP laptop for work a few months ago and was hoping that it would work the same way on it however it does not.

Before I always figured that it work because there was no gate way ip address assigned to the interface so internet traffic went where there was one but this does not appear to be the case.

anyone?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Yes, notebook and desktop. Yes.

Reply to
Comcast Newsgroups

"Adair Winter" hath wroth:

That's very different. If the wired connection did NOT have a gateway IP, or that the gateway IP was the local IP address of the ethernet interface, all the packets would go via the wireless, EXCEPT those that are within the netmask of the ethernet adapter. The automatic "metric" packet priority thing only works if both the wired and the wireless go to the same router and have the same netmask. Otherwise, things get really complicated.

I always (and I do mean always) keep a saved copy of the routing table: route print > filename It's a bit rough decoding the output, but not impossible. See:

formatting link
something breaks, I compare results. It's amazing how minor updates and installs seem to screw up my settings. I have a fairly complex mess in the office. I once installed some obscure network discovery and analysis tool that "repaired" all my settings. Gee thanks.

It can, but without numbers and topology, I'm not going to offer a configuration.

The gateway is for where packets go that do *NOT* have a destination IP address that is within the netmask of either interface. For example: wireless 192.168.1.xxx ethernet 192.168.0.xxx Everything with a destination IP address within 192.168.1.xxx will go via wireless. Everything with a destination IP address within

192.168.0.xxx will go via wireless. Everything *ELSE* that is NOT within either of these two Class C IP blocks, will go via the gateway.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Good info, I will have to look into doing the same. Could come in really handy.

There isn't much topology to it really. Take one laptop connected wirelessly to office lan which has servers, work stations, ip phones and internet connectivity. This network is 192.168.1.0/24 and the wireless interface is fully configured via the DHCP server. In the office I will sit down to initually setup or test a VoIP phone system in which I use a completly seperate switch from the office network for connectivity. Normally outta the box i'm on 10.10.10.0/24 with the wired interface, which i normally do not specify a gateway (because there is none).

If I request something from either network by ip address i have no problems, i'm not sure about by name. Alot of what I do is broswer and remote desktop baised so if I call an address directly it responds but if i open a browser window and type in

formatting link
(or any other address for that matter) or try to check my POP3 email I get an error.

Understood.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.