WinXP secure wireless network - how?

Hello I bought a wireless router to replace my conventional router so I had to create a new (wireless) connection in Windows XP. The problem is that Windows says that the connection has an open access and that it is not secured. So, what do I need to do to make it secure ? I tried using the network crypting key thing but when I do so, the connection don't work anymore and Windows still says the connection's not secure.

Please help me, thanks!

Also, the Internet seems kinda slow conmpared to with the wired router. Any idea what can be causing this ? Thanks a lot!

Reply to
iTRiX
Loading thread data ...

Did you enter the keys in both the wireless router and your wireless PC?

router. Any

Reply to
Airhead

Thank you very much, that is what I haven't done. Now it works and is said by Windows to by secure. The speed seems to have stabilized too. I still have a little question: for authentication, I can choose 'open' or 'shared'. For now I chose shared but what's the difference (what does it change?).

Thanks!

"Daniel Bennett" a écrit dans le message de news:

41cffae2$0$68298$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...

Reply to
iTRiX

You need to set security on the router itself, then match it on the client. E.g. a WEP key or WPA encryption. The manual that came with it should show you how. Then you setup the client exactly the same. You cannot set the client without setting the other and vice versa.

kind regards,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Ok. Thank you again for your help.

"Daniel Bennett" a écrit dans le message de news:

41d04482$0$69700$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...
Reply to
iTRiX

Thanks a lot for your answer!

"mhicaoidh" a écrit dans le message de news: aKYzd.572916$wV.546908@attbi_s54...

Reply to
iTRiX

I confess I'm not sure I think I set mine as shared.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Ah just realised what you meant!

Theres an option for open, shared, wpa and wpa psk(pre shared key). I setup my wireless as as wpa-psk. as its the most secure I could provide.

kind regards,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Taking a moment's reflection, iTRiX mused: | | I still have a little question: for authentication, I can choose 'open' or | 'shared'. For now I chose shared but what's the difference (what does it | change?).

This setting determines how the access point/router will negotiate the connection with the client and determine whether the proper encryption key is in place. When set to Shared, the router and client exchange packets containing the encryption key, and check for a match. When set to Open, this is not done. The router/access point and client start the connection without confirming keys. If the proper key is in place, then things work. If it is not, then things don't work.

Setting this to Open is considered more secure because the valid key is never transmitted by either client or server. Therefore it is not exposed to possible packet sniffing.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.