Windoze 98, 98SE, and ME are now officially dead

Time to celebrate:

formatting link
98, 98SE, and ME are now officially dead and unsupported. No more security updates. The worm writers should now have a field day. One year more for online knowledgebase support and then that goes away.

I think the Nordic methods of funeral rites might be appropriate. Place all the old W98 and ME documentation and CD's in a boat, set fire to it, and watch it sail off into the sunset. (I saw that in an old movie somewhere). I plan to do it before Microsoft again changes its mind on supporting the older OS's because its customers might feel abandoned.

Yeah, I know it's off topic, but I just couldn't resist.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Jerry Park

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:11:22 -0500, Jerry Park wrote in :

"Critical" updates are available even without Windows Genuine disAdvantage (at least for now).

I frankly doubt there will be much real change -- there hasn't been much in the way of updates for those systems for quite some time, and perhaps this will motivate more people to upgrade. I don't blame Microsoft -- good riddance.

My bigger concern is that Vista looks to set a new standard of bloatware, which I fear will discourage needed security upgrades in the longer term. [sigh]

Reply to
John Navas

How? When I go to the update site, all I get is a requirement to install WGA. I presume other options will become available after I agree to that installation.

Reply to
Jerry Park

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:31:57 -0500, Jerry Park wrote in :

A number of ways, including

Reply to
John Navas

Jerry Park wrote in news:s6ctg.45750$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Through Automatic Updates.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Automatic updates automatically installs WGA.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Jerry Park wrote in news:Y%ftg.8359$IF2.5675 @bignews7.bellsouth.net:

...and critical updates even if you have a Jolly Roger copy XP.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

You can set Automatic Updates to download but not install the updates. Then you get to pick the ones you want.

Of course, this isn't the default behaviour.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I'll believe it when I don't see any new malware targeting it.

I can hear the Munchkins dancing about and singing "Ding Dong, the witch is dead"

Doncha need a toxic waste disposal permit for that? I don't know what the Coast Guard would say about it either.

Kirk Douglas was in it I think.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Quite the opposite. I expect it to be the target for worm writers. No updates insures that any holes found will not be plugged.

Yep. The Vikings:

formatting link
formatting link
were going to do the Viking funeral scene during SCO Forum when SCO finally killed off Xenix on the 3rd or 4th attempt. However, the fog rolled in making photography problematic. It was also a rented wooden dingy and someone wanted their deposit back.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Counts as an open air cremation, prolly...

formatting link

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.