Windows WiFi Client

Whats the best WiFi client for windows...besides the stupid "built-in" wireless network software that comes with winxp sp2? I've tried netgear, and linksys, and dlink, and a few others, and none of them seem to be all that great. Any 3rd party client that saves profiles, WEPs, etc...

Smowk

Reply to
Smowk
Loading thread data ...

Several releases of Intel Proset are a problem. It will often hog

100% of the CPU cycles for no obvious reason. I've found that I can simply disable Wireless Zero Config, and rename: C:\Windows\System32\ZCfgSvc.exe to something like C:\Windows\System32\ZCfgSvc.exe.crud and the system will shutdown normally. I'm not sure exactly what this program does, but it's apparently the link between Proset and WZC. If it's running, but WZC isn't, strange things will happen.

Some notes on the topic from others:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes. The Intel utilities do all that, but in my system (Dell Inspiron

8200), the services Intel's utility runs don't play well with Windows. When I log off or shut down, I get the pop up window that (such and such) service has not stopped and will be stopped in X seconds. I let Windows manage the device for that reason.
Reply to
Jerry Park

Is there something "specific" you're looking for in a WiFi client? If so, what?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Intel Proset

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

The free Boingo client manages the connections, and offers stored profiles with some options like specific hard-coded IP addresses that the WinXP client doesn't provide.

I normally use the built in WinXP-SP2 client. I invoke the Boingo client when I need to connect on that one network.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXWindo.usenet.us.com wrote in news:d1ldn7$maq$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

i've found the winxp client to "work" the best, but i'm comparing that to netgear and linksys clients so...

maybe i'll just stick to the xp client, i was just wondering if there was something out there that would "show" you more, such as kb transferred, kb/sec, etc...

thanks

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object - Network Interface. "Current Bandwidth" is interesting on a 54g connection. there are several performance counters. + Performance Object - TCP, ICMP, UDP

Reply to
dold

What you really want is a connection manager: something that maintains profiles for different networks.

IBM has a very nice connection manager called IBM Access Connections for ThinkPads, not sure if it will work with non-IBM gear. It manages connections just as you ask for, but does wired as well as wireless network connections. It's been about a year since I used it but it did seem to be pretty nice, IIRC.

good luck, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.