"Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem

I have had a wireless network set up between a laptop and my PC which has worked smoothly for a couple of weeks. Today when I booted up the laptop I got the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you into the network " on top of my sys tray icon which now has a yellow triangle and exclamation mark on it!

I browsed about and discovered this was something to do with encryption. Up until this problem occuring I hadn't changed any of my router's (SpeedTouch

585) settings whatsoever or on the laptop. I tried putting in a brand new WPA-PSK key into the router then put it into the laptop, but still the same problem happens. I don't know is this is related but when I input the new key into the laptop in Wireless Network Connection Properties>wireless networks>properties>association hit ok then return to that window it has gone back to the router's default key, a 10 digit key which doesn't work. I also tried to repair the connection but that hasn't worked either.

I also read that if, in the network properties>authentication, the "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is enabled it can lead to connection problems. But it is unchecked. In fact, even if I wanted to enable it I can't because the entire box is greyed out. Can someone verify if this is where I can fix the problem, how this window came to be greyed out and how to fix it.

So how has this problem occurred and how do I fix it?

Help gratefully received.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj
Loading thread data ...

Turn off encryption and get back to us with the results.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Hi

Thanks for replying. I turned off the encrytpion and I can access the internet on the laptop fine. It's only when I have encryption on that I get the "Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem. I had this problem when I initially tried to set up this shared internet connection, but solved it when I put a 64 character WPA hex instead of the router's default 10 charcter WPA key that was printed on the underside of the router. This seems like a similar problem, although this time I am inoutting a 64 character WPA hex into the router and the laptop and it it now not going according to plan.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

Hmm, and what you are getting is a 'certificate' (that word in the error message) error? How are you controling the wireless card in the laptop? What I mean is, are you using Windows Zero Config set up or is there a vendor supplied tool? What version of Windows is in play here?

Reply to
Rico

Hi Rico

Windows is controlling everything. I'm using XP Pro SP2 fully updated on both laptop and PC. The laptop is a split new Dell Inspiron 6000, and has a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller and an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless

2200BG Network Connection installed.

I suspect you may suggest switching to allowing the vendor software to control the wireless connection instead of Windows, but Windows was controlling the connection and it was working fine for about 1-2 weeks then this problem just appeared suddenly. Would switching what controls the connection make a difference?

Thanks again for replying. While I'm tearing my hair out here, I'm getting zero feedback from folks out there on 4 forums and 5 newsgroups I've tried, so your interest is gratefully received:-) I'm a total newcomer to all this wireless shared internet connection stuff and I'm finding it a tough slog up this near vertical learning curve.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

No, Windows Zero Config tool ought to be able to handle this just fine. I've found broadcom's software to be a problem in my laptop so I disabled it and on use the Window tool

Ok this is a slow way to handle this, but let's make sure we are all together.

Let's do this, reset (not reboot, but reset -see owners manual) the router to factory defaults not just WPA key, everything back to the way it came out of the box. Once that is done again with all encryption turned off make sure the laptop can connect.

Also just so I'm sure where we are, no new software has recently (between time of working and not working) been installed on the laptop? No virus software or firewalls?

Reply to
Rico

Hi Rico

I reset my ST585 to its factory defaults. I immediately enabled the firewall to standard protection so I wouldn't leave moth my PC and the laptop exposed. With encryption disabled (the router's default setting) I booted the laptop and its AV software (AVG free which was installed well prior to the current problem starting) immediately updated and I could connect to the web no problem. No, no new software whatsoever was installed on the laptop between time of working and not working. Everything was going fine, my daughter went for her usual surf on her bookmarked sites, she doesn't know how to install software anyway, she shut down the laptop the proper way as I've instructed her, and the next time someone booted it up and attempted to go onto the web we get this "Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem. There is no software firewall on either my PC or the laptop as I only use the router's firewall.

Ok, what now?

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

What website are we trying to visit here when this happens?

Reply to
Rico

Hi Rico

Google/Firefox start page:

formatting link
But it happens whenever I try to acces any webpage.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

Have you checked this computer for malware (adware/virus) this certificate thing sounds a lot like some piece of software is trying to 'phone home' and install something on your computer?

Reply to
Rico

Hi Rico

Nope, no viruses or malware on either laptop or PC.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

Then I'm just stumped, rephrase your basic question (subject line) and see if someone else with more knowledge then me can jump in.

Reply to
Rico

Hi Rico

Ok. Thanks for trying. I've re-posted with a different subject. Hopefully someone will pick it up.

Harry

Reply to
harry.wj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.