Windows server 2003 terms

Hello, I'm a student studying Information Technology at the University of The Netherlands Antilles. I was wondering if someone could help me understand the following terms in the Windows server 2003 envoirnment. The terms are:

- What is OU (organizational Units) can someone explain this to me with a 'real life' example and for what is an OU used??

- Group

- Group Policy

- User

- Active Directory

- Domain en Child domain

- What are Site Links and where are these being used or when?

- What is the difference between working groups and a Domain? When should I use a Domain instead of a working group?

- What is DHCP and how does this work? what are the advantages of this? Can anyone explain these terms to me please. It would be a great help to me. Please email me these answers to my email adres: snipped-for-privacy@habitatcuracaoresort.com Thank you in advance!!! Regards, Soenita

Reply to
soenita
Loading thread data ...

These have nothing to do specifically with wireless networking so are offtopic in this group. Google can help you find all the answers you're looking for though.

With just a _little_ bit of effort you can easily find all of these yourself.

If you're studying Information technology at a university and you don't even know what a user, group or DHCP is you have a LOT of catching-up to do so spend some time reading. The other stuff you're asking about seems to be pretty much microsoft specific (assuming your 'domain' doesn't refer to the D in DNS) so see if you can find some MSCE books or online documentation.

When you ask a question in a newsgroup you get the answers in the newsgroup.

Good luck with your google searches.

Sander

Reply to
Sander

A container that allows you to organise stuff

When you're an IT admin and you need to organise stuff

Group

A policy that doesn't apply to a group

A user

A directory service that isn't active

security boundary, for child ask your parents

objects in AD that define the topology so that the replication links can be made

A workgroup (not working group) is a shared netbios name, nothing more

Domain when you want a central security database

automatic ip addressing, makes life easy. We like easy lives.

You're welcome.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.