Windows message associated with wireless router??

While running a total antivirus scan on my computer, I got the Windows message box that said " the system has detected a conflict for IP address

192.168.1.100 with the system having hardware address 00:0E:35:6F:3E:33 The interface has been disabled." I know the IP address is associated with configuring the Linksys Router, but I am reluctant to talk to Linksys tech support due to bad past experiences.

Anyone have an idea what this is telling me? I do not appear to be having any problems and am connected to the internet OK. Do you think I should restore a previous system registry, using the system restore feature on Windows ME.?

Reply to
Les
Loading thread data ...

"the system has detected a conflict for IP address" is pretty much exactly just that, an IP that is already assigned for something else is trying to be assigned to that PC. You just need to figure out where and why.

No, don't worry about the registry or restoring anything. This conflict is more than likely something very simple and easily fixed. Hard to know without knowing your network setup though.

Where do your IP's get assigned from? Are they dynamically assigned from the router's DHCP? If so, make sure the PC's TCP/IP properties for it's network hardware are set to receive all IP's (local, gateway, mask) automatically. This is the easiest way to setup. Just enable the router's DHCP server and set all the client's hardware to receive IP's automatically and be done with it. One note on this though: on one rare occassion, one of my routers had a "ghost IP" for a PC that was brought offline about an hour prior to my laptop connecting to it. My laptop was given the same IP as the "ghost IP". Both IP's were listed in it's table as active. It didn't cause any errors, but could have resulted in the message you got. I simply just rebooted the router to "flush it out". Happened just once. Strange.

If you want to use static IP's, just enter the IP's in the router's static database based upon their MAC addresses. The PC's TCP/IP properties can either be set to "automatically obtain IP's" or you can manually enter them -- doesn't matter. I use statics, but keep all the clients set to "manually obtain IP's". (Thought process being it allows the router's DHCP do what it wants to do, hand over IP's even if they are static.)

Also, unless you need to do something funky, ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) shouldn't be enabled. ICS is basically a "software router and DHCP server". In a simple single network, it is going to bump heads with a hardware router.

Sounds like something very simple. Just start by looking at the tables/logs and see who all has been getting 192.168.1.100. (Strange that it only happened while doing an AV scan though. Usually, thats something that you would see right away. AV doing anything funky like, for who knows what reason, disabling and then re-enabling network connections, during scans? Confused router?)

Cheers Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Les" wrote in news:XC2We.35495$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

That 00:0E:35:6F:3E:33 is a MAC of the NIC (Network Interface Card) all cards wired or wireless has a unique MAC for a card.

Here are some examples of how to determine the NIC MAC of the computer's NIC. You should identify all NIC MAC's that are accessing your network

formatting link
The only times I have seen that message at work is when another machine on the network was being assigned the same DHCP IP on the network my machine was already using and was trying to access/get on the network -- the conflict.

You can check the IP that is being assigned to a NIC'S MAC in the router's DHCP table logs. You should not be getting the conflict because the router is going to assign IP(s) based on the NIC's MAC and the machine should be getting the same IP based on MAC assignment. There should be no conflict unless two computers active on the network are conflicting for the same IP.

Now, it could be a sign that someone is trying to hack your wireless network by being slick in trying to access your network by giving his/her machine's NIC a static IP on your router of 192.168.1.100 even though it's a DHCP IP to one of your machines, which there will be no log entry for their NIC's MAC in the router's DHCP table logs when using a static IP other than your own computer's MAC. It could be away of covering tracks by using the same IP you are using when your machine is not on the network using the 192.168.1.100, possibly your machine is turned off.

I don't see why someone couldn't do it. And you wouldn't know if it was happening possibly due to the router not have a logging feature where you could review network traffic to/from the router by LAN IP(s) to remote Internet IP(s). You could possibly look at the traffic for 192.168.1.100 and determine that your machine that should be using 192.168.1.100 was not on the network at that time and you don't recall accessing the remote IP site, which you can determine who the IP belongs to by using something like Arin Whois. But the router must have the logging feature and possibly using a log viewer like Wallwatcher.

formatting link
You want to find out about a remote IP you enter the IP into the Search Whois box.

formatting link
It's possible I would think.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.