Windows 7 driver for wrt54gs router

I called Linksys help but no help there. My desktop computer connects fine with above router and to the internet using any os except my latest install of Win 7 home premium. I can get to the router itself with http://192.168.

1.1. Address is blank and password admin. But no win 7 web browser can find it.

I also have a wireless laptop which has both linux and and win 7 (different diskette and product key) It connects fine with the internet through same router. Win 7 says it is a missing driver but maybe they lie. If I need the driver I could transfer it from my Win 7 partition on my la ptop machine. Where can I find said driver on my other win 7 computer that works online? I have both Win 7 and Linux on both machines so no problem fi nding it if I know its name.

If it is some internal setting (like dhcp) wrong where will I find it?

So any hints?

John Culleton snipped-for-privacy@wexfordpress.com

Reply to
john
Loading thread data ...

On 2/2/2016 4:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@wexfordpress.com wrote: > I called Linksys help but no help there. My desktop computer connects fine with above router and to the internet using any os except my latest install of Win 7 home premium. I can get to the router itself with http://192.168.1.1. Address is blank and password admin. But no win 7 web browser can find it. > > I also have a wireless laptop which has both linux and and win 7 (different diskette and product key) It connects fine with the internet through same router. Win 7 says it is a missing driver but maybe they lie. > If I need the driver I could transfer it from my Win 7 partition on my laptop machine. Where can I find said driver on my other win 7 computer that works online? I have both Win 7 and Linux on both machines so no problem finding it if I know its name. > > If it is some internal setting (like dhcp) wrong where will I find it? > > So any hints? > > John Culleton > snipped-for-privacy@wexfordpress.com >

First of all there are no drivers for an external router of any brand. That is why Linksys could not help you find one.

Since you are able to contact the router using it's IP address then the problem sounds like a partially confused Ethernet configuration in your PC or a bad cable between your PC and the router.

Couple of ways to troubleshoot this but here is one way.

1] Go down to the icon on the right bottom of the page that stands for your Ethernet port and Right click and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center"

2] Then go the upper left of the new window and choose "Change adapter settings"

3] Then Right click on your local area connection icon and scroll down and click on "Properties".

4] In the new windows that opened see if you can find an entry that is called "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP4)" It should have a check in the little box at the left of the entry.

5] Right click once on the above entry to highlite it and then click on the "Properties" button.

6] In the new windows that opens you should have both the "Optain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" with black buttons highlited.

7] If step 6 looked good then I'd go back to step 3 and this time choose "Diagnose" and see if Windows can fix itself.

If the system still complains about a missing driver then I'd try to find the driver for the Ethernet port of your PC.

One alternative that might work would be to try downloading and running the program called Driver Booster 3 from IoBit and see if that can locate the missing driver. The free version of the program can be found at;

formatting link

Good Luck...

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

After all that I finally realize you are working a wireless problem. So it's time to download and install the latest wireless driver for your laptop's wireless adapter.

Since laptop manufacturers are notorious for not keeping up to speed on older drivers I suspect the IoBit program will be your best bet to get the wireless working properly again. Still it's worth a try to see if your laptop company has W7 drivers available for downloading.

As for the driver from one laptop to another, that might work but only if both use the same brand/model of wireless card inside the laptop.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.