Win98SE pc As wireless base station

By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser? What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP (DHCP) from the router.

though.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Yeah windows is the problem. Try Linux

Reply to
Dmcintosh

Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on Win98SE and IE 6?

I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.

TIA

Reply to
chungacs

Before you try to log in the first time to the AP, you may need to manually set your machine's IP address to something like 192.168.0.2 and your gateway as 192.168.0.1. Then you can log into the AP, turn on DHCP, and then set your machine to obtain an IP address via DHCP.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Haynes

I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says open location by typing http://192.168.0.1. I keyed in the default username password as suggested. I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?

TIA

Reply to
chungacs

Delete **I keyed in the default usernamepassword as suggested.:** What i meant was : after typing in http://192.168.0.1, i can't even get to the opening config page where i am supposed to key in the user and p-word

I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose

Reply to
chungacs

Nope. It's done all the time.

The DI-714P+ has a DHCP server that will deliver an IP address to your computah. Since this is the initial setup, you might was well make sure that the DHCP server in the DI-714P+ is alive by resetting the until to defaults. If you ended up with what someone has returned for credit, it's highly likely the settings are wrong. Punch and hold the button on the backf or however long the instructions demand.

The instructions should emphasize that you should do the initial configuration using a wired LAN connection. There's no reason you can't do it via a wireless connection except that you'll probably get disconnected every time you save the settings. Also, if you decide to later do a firmware upgrade, do it with a wired LAN connection and any interruption or accidental disconnect will be catastrophic.

With a wired LAN connection, open a DOS window and run: Start -> Run -> command ipconfig If it says 192.168.1.xxx for your IP and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway, then it's working correctly. Try the browser again.

If it says 169.254.xxx.xxx, your computer did not get a DHCP delivered IP address from the router.

If it says 0.0.0.0, give it a little longer to get an IP address.

If it says some other IP address, either the router was not properly reset, or you have your W98SE networking configured for a static IP address.

Try: IPCONFIG /release_all IPCONFIG /renew_all to force the DHCP client to ask for an address.

There are also some things that might interfere with getting a DHCP assigned address and communicating with the router. Look for personal firewalls, security pretzels, and VPN software that assigns static routes. Also check for a bad ethernet cable.

Once you have the router configured via the wired LAN, then and only then try the wireless part.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.