Win XP ICS - DHCP just quits working?

siddskapoor, this is Bendit (the original poster for this discussion). It seems you have the exact same problem that I have been fighting for a while. DHCP just quit working after 2 weeks when previously everything was fine.

I found a "workaround" for the DHCP issue. I have found that if I hardcode the IP addresses on the laptops, and make the gateway and DNS addresses on those laptops the IP of the server (the computer running ICS), all works fine. In other words, ICS works really well, it is the DHCP part that stops working after a while (hardcoding the IP addresses on the laptops/clients will make them not use the DHCP features of your ICS server). Let's illustrate what I mean here:

-Win XP SP2 ICS server has internet connectivity which is shared and firewalled. The IP address of the wireless adapter on there is

192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

-My Win XP SP2 laptop wireless adapter has a hardcoded IP address of

192.168.0.2, a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and a primary DNS of 192.168.0.1 also. The subnet is 255.255.255.0 (same as ICS server).

The nice part about the wireless adapter is that the IP address changes can be done on the fly without rebooting. So once you hit the close button on the properties page, changes should kick in right away. Now start a browser and you should be good to go. Let me know how that goes. CHEERS!

Ben

Reply to
Bendit
Loading thread data ...

which is the diference between ap and router wireless?

regards,

Reply to
lucaspaciolu2

An access point provides wireless access to an existing wired network, or just the hub for a wireless network. A wireless router may well also provided wireless access, but is used to provide a connection between two networks.

formatting link
Its far better explained in these two.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Ask and ye shall receive. Ask harder and thou might transmit.

- ALL of the radios (wireless) are bridges of one form or other.

- Bridges work on Layer 2, the MAC address layer. The decision as to whether to cross the wireless bridge is based upon the destination MAC address. If the destination MAC address is across the bridge, it will transmit the packet. If the destination is NOT across the bridge, the transmitter remains silent. Packets with no destination MAC address (broadcasts, ARP requests) always are sent across the bridge.

- Bridges know nothing about IP addresses, routing, the internet, or other Layer 3 features.

- An access point is a wireless bridge, used in infrastructure mode, to orchestrate a wireless network of wireless bridge clients (usually laptops). The bridging is between a wireless network and a wired ethernet network.

- A switch is a bridge with more than 2 ports. There is a class of wireless switches, where all the brains are in the central switch instead of at the radios.

- 802.11 is essentially an encapsulation protocol. I gift wraps 802.3 ethernet packets, delivers them through the air to another 802.11 bridge, which removes the gift wrapping, and delivers the 802.3 ethernet frames intact.

- Client devices are single port bridges. They can bridge exactly one MAC address (at a time).

- Workgroup bridges and some "game adapters" are ethernet connected client bridges that can talk to an access point and bridge more than one MAC address. These are necessary if you're connecting more than one computah via a single wireless link, to an access point.

- Routers are Layer 3 devices and work with IP addresses. They glue together two networks. In most cases, the routers glue together your LAN (local area network) to a WAN (wide area network) also known as the internet.

- Packets are transmitted on the basis of a rule set known as the routing table. In most cases, the rules are simple. Everything on your LAN's Class C IP block (192.168.1.xxx) stays local and does not get routed to the internet. Everything else goes via the default gateway to the internet.

- A wireless router is nothing more than a wireless access point with the LAN port of an ethernet router connected to the access point. Essentially, they are two devices, with different functions, in one box. This is why you can turn a wireless router into an access point by merely ignoring the WAN port (and turning off the DHCP server).

- Access points and routers also offer filtering. Access points filter by MAC address. Routers filter by IP address. Neither filter has anything to do with routing.

So, what did I leave out?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.