Win 98se wireless problem

I'll try and keep the explanation of the problem short!

I have a D Link wireless router wired into a Win XP desktop PC and a laptop running XP which connects wirelessly through the desktop PC.all this works just fine.

I dug out my old Win 98se computer with a Belkin dongle and tried to get it to connect through the D Link (it used to work OK a few months ago) but it does not connect to the internet. I know it connects to the wireless router OK plus both the laptop and XP PC can connect to the 98se PC and read files on it.

The problem...why can I not connect the 98se to the internet? I have disabled firewalls on both desktops at the same time in case that was the problem, still no joy.

My son admits to trying to change a few settings to try and solve the problem and I can only guess maybe changed something in the TCP settings.

Does anyone have the time to walk me through how I should set things up?

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

I tried to get four (4) different wireless cards and dongles -- all supposedly Win98-compatible -- to work with my Win98SE machine to get it linked into the rest of my home net. It never worked once.

Wednesday, I spent the bulk of the day running an Ethernet cable to it.

At some point, wireless often becomes far more trouble than it's worth, particulary with static installations.

-=- This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Reply to
Anonymous

Just curious why you kept trying things that didn't work, instead of making the one change that probably would have made it work? (Originally Win98 had no USB support, SE does however most USB stuff states very clearly it will not work with Win98 Check the system requirements of your products).. Seems like you intentionally did it/but only followed the instructions you liked, in a way that would fail, and let you bitch...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.