WiMax vs DVB-RCS

I'm researching the differences between WiMax and DVB-RCS for IP connectivity. It seems that there is lots of information available about WiMax available on the net and in print but the DVB-RCS side is proving much harder.

Basically, I'm looking for fairly basic information concerning things like bandwidth, hardware information (infrastructure and clients) and most importantly which would be better for what kind of application.

It seems to me that both are suited to 'fixed' installations, since both require calibration for a particular location (directional antennae for WiMax and satellite for DVB-RCS). DVB would seem to require a lower hardware investment, since DVB is designed to be a high-percentage-coverage technology (for TV reception) so the downstream channel should be easy to obtain. The upstream channel will of course need upstream satellite access which means high latency and high cost. Wimax would need good infrastructure between backbone and clients, which could prove more costly. Running costs should be substantially lower though and latency should also be less of an issue.

DVB-RCS would seem to be totally unsuitable for home use due to the high cost and latency (goodbye online gaming!). WiMax itself is meant to be an infrastructure standard, but I believe there is a mobile (or mobility) standard 802.20 which caters for client connection to high-speed wireless.

If anyone could offer any information, tips, links or anything else they feel would be useful, please let me know either here or via e-mail.

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
My Big Fat Geek Wedding
Loading thread data ...

Uzytkownik "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

AFAIK WiMax is suitable for wireless and mobile network in cities. In theory it should give you close mobility to the one we get used with cell phone,

I know about ISP using satellite access but there is a lot of work on optimizing traffic and lowering impact of high latency, however it is possible. They are able to use it for voice trraffic which sounds like impossible to me. Data via DVB is expensive. Cost of megabajt is much higher than any other solution.

For true mobility you can use wimax or mesh network with lots of standard

2,4 GHz AP and 5GHz backbone.
Reply to
Jan Werbinski

Not totally. I'm not sure about "RCS", but afaik DirecWay is DVB, and it's functional. It's expensive enough to be only useful if you have no other broadband choice, and the latency makes VOIP and gaming difficult, but not impossible (though apparently DirecWay explicitly breaks Vonage). Even so, I use it extensively.

High, but not nearly as high as high-speed cellular access in Canada. I could theoretically download at least 5GB monthly for CDN$90 from my satellite provider. iirc, the best deal I could find for cellular was going to let me download 1GB before getting into $10 per-MB surcharges.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.