WiMax

I am in need of WiMax wisdom..

Does anybody know if WiMax equipment is available for purchase now?

Is it a feasable alternative to wireless as we know it now and economically?

When would you guess the equipment may be available?

If one wanted to cover a flat 100 square miles, what would be the estimated cost of equipment and infrastructure, $100K, $1Mil or $10Mil????? Any quess's out there?

Thanks, Tom

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

----------------------------------------------------------

formatting link

Reply to
Tom Langel
Loading thread data ...

Yes it is

formatting link
for example.

Redline do a load of point to point stuff.

What are you trying to do, saturate 100 square miles?

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor hath wroth:

I didn't see the original posting so I'll reply to the reply.

We have a local 2.4GHz WiMax system running Navini hardware:

formatting link
formatting link
nicely.

The former Fort Ord in Montery has a bunch of 5.7GHz WiMax nodes by Alvarion.

formatting link
I have a list (somewhere) of other local WiMax deployments.

Also see:

formatting link
formatting link
the latest press releases and promises. Be careful with the frequency ranges as many vendors are shipping 3.65GHz (US), 700Mhz (US maybe) or 3.5GHz (EU) products, and NOT 2.4GHz or 5.7GHz products.

Oh-oh.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not Wimax, but 802.11b that is several HUNDRED square miles.... I use it on my laptop and pda all over the northern idaho/eastern washington area...

formatting link
(click on products and coverage map to see the area covered, uses 802.11b access points and microwave relays on various mountains to cover the area, was gonna be wimax but they decided to go with something standard that people already had in their machines)...

I have to wonder, it seems to do what you want, but it's stuff people already have in their pda's/laptops/etc, so why say wimax?

Reply to
Peter Pan

cost of equipment

Well, sounds like you're looking for a mesh network on par with Philadelphia at 135 sq miles.

formatting link
are a few costs mentioned in the business plan:

formatting link
factoid sheet mentions: * It can be deployed for $40,000 to $60,000/ sq. mile. * Wireless connectivity could be provided for the entire city for $7 to $10 million.

Of course, since the above was written, Philadelphia decided to dump the whole mess on Earthlink, who more accurately predicted initial costs to be about $20 to $22 million.

formatting link
can't tell if this includes operating costs. My guess is that it doesn't. Since Wi-Fi hardware seems to last about 8 years before obsolescence, they'll be stuck with a $2 million per year expense for nothing more than replacement hardware. You might also find the RF study to be of interest:
formatting link
There are lots of other systems that can be disected at:
formatting link
Don't forget that 100 sq miles will have a sufficient number of users that you'll end up with all the overhead, facilities, and services normally provided by a wireline ISP, but with the added enjoyment of having one leaky microwave oven wipe out your entire network.

For additional clues, try the Wireless ISP mailing list at:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.