wimax

With all this hype about wimax, when are going to see it. I hear that it's already being aplied in Europe and Japan, however, when are we going to see it here in the states?

Reply to
cervantes77
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

For a sobering assessment of WiMax (counterpoint to exaggerated hype), see "Wireless: Facts and Fiction" by Benjamin Friedlander of UC Santa Cruz at .

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the link John!

I found it to be a much more realistic picture of what will occur with WIMAX.

We rarely forget that the proponents of the technology have something to sell and will hype their widget to the max (sorry about that). But, we almost never think of the others that have something to sell in telling the story.

...like the newspapers must entice readers to buy their papers and websites must entice readers to read their stories to sell ad space. A hyped story about the "next big thing" always pulls more readers than a story that actually weighs the pros and cons intelligently.

And, in this era of instant news, websites especially are prone to slpping out the first thing that looks like a good article, with little if any actual research by the writer into the technology.

But, if the writer waited to do the proper research, other writers would "break the story" first and the more researched article may not get as much attention for the advertisers as the hyped stories. Thus, economically speaking, it is better for newspapers and websites to publish rushed hype than tested facts.

The more that I think about it, the more I understand what "breaking a story" really means.

Jim Hubbard

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.