Will this work as file server?

I now have a laptop connected to a docking station, which is in turn connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable. When I take the laptop off the docking station, I use a wifi card to wireless router. Question: the docking station has a USB plug on it. If I plug a USB external hard drive into it, can I use that drive as a network file server? Will it matter if the laptop is docked or not? Running Win2k.

Reply to
Alaspor
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The drive can provide network storage, but only with a storage server, which would be the laptop. The alternative is a standalone network storage device.

Reply to
John Navas

Read reviews of Network Attached Storage (NAS)

formatting link
are cheaper model that have come out since the review. I have a "SimpleShare 160GB" that retails for $250. It works great. Pay attention to details on security. Some of these drives have no security capabilities. At least it should provide password protection.

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.