Will the signal reach?

I'm running a D-link DGL-4300 router with the default stock antenna. I want to share files with my friend, who lives not to far from me. But the problem is that we don't have a clear LOS, so the signal may have a hard time getting there, cause of all the homes, trees, etc...

I know he will have to have a hi gain antenna of some kind, and that I will need a powerful antenna on my end to send the signal. I just don't know exactly what I need to do to make this work.

Also, if I get some powerful parabolic or Yagi antenna, would buying a signal amplifier help?

Could anyone suggest a way that I can get the signal to his house? Any help is appreciated. :)

Below is a picture of the distance between us.

copy and paste to browser:

formatting link

thx again, Borgslayer

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Borgslayer
Loading thread data ...

Yes, you'll need a relatively high-gain antenna. But first, you need to rent a chainsaw and a bulldozer to get LoS.

It might be cheaper to just share files by attaching them to email. Or sending CDs via snailmail.

Reply to
Bob Willard

You're going to have to get the antennas up in the air...period.

Mounting both antennas on your roof peaks isn't going to work as teh houses in between will block the signal. Without doing a Fresnel clearance plot, I'm going to guess a 35-40 foot mast at one end and a

25-30 foot one at the other should work. As a rule, they should not both be the same heights; but since the houses act like a microwave fence line attenuator, you might get by with the same heights.
Reply to
DTC

The signal will not get there at all. If you were somewhat close to each other (ie. a couple of doors down) you could perhaps get away with some massive omni antennas.

Sure, the signal strength wouldn't be great, but you might be able to move a file the size of a movie to him overnight.

In this case I count at least five houses blocking your way.

You'll need to elevate it. Check all areas of your house thoroughly; if you can't find any area at all (be it on the side of the building, on a drainpipe, whatever) that has line of sight of his house, you won't be able to do it without mounting something on the roof.

It might not be too expensive if you can both get LOS of each other's TV antennas. Then you could mount the wireless antennas onto the TV mast - then run the cabling through the roof.

No, you don't have LOS to use either of those. They work best with LOS.

Both of those would work very nicely if you have LOS and Fresnel clearance.

Just by looking at that I can tell you you haven't a chance without LOS/fresnel.

When you factor in the expense of an antenna (be it a commerical one or a homemade), an AP/computer to keep the connection up, as well as all the cabling and mounting gear, it doesn't really seem worth it if you're looking to keep things cheap.

Then again, if you spend at least $150AUD (at each end) and have LOS and Fresnels at a particular area/elevation, then you could (keyword) get a nice connection set up.

Reply to
David Fairbrother

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.