Wikipedia connection problems

Two browser's, Firefox and dolphin, can't show web pages for wikipedia.ord, and some other websites I can't recall right now.

Opera can see all the websites. I've checked settings in both browser's and can't find what's causing the problem.

There doesn't seem to be an app on my phone for filtering websites. I thought it was my internet provider until I realized another phone and tablet aren't having this problem.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mysterious Traveller
Loading thread data ...

I don't believe there's a new TLD ".ord" :-)

Yes. Older browsers are fast being lost in the dust: My results on an older browser:

|Unable to load page |Problem occurred while loading the URL

formatting link
|SSL handshake failed: A TLS fatal alert has been received.

You could probably see more using "Live HTTP Headers" in firefox.

Websites are moving to higher and higher TLS security levels.

Oh for the days of gopher.... Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

No, but there certainly are enough to confuse the bewildered ;-)

formatting link

[dawn ~]$ sed -n '/.aaa /,/Zimbabwe/p' < db | awk '{ print $2 }' | sort | uniq -c | column 311 country-code 1 infrastructure 1224 generic 15 sponsored 3 generic-restricted 11 test [dawn ~]$

Long gone are the days of just _five_ generic domains (.com, .edu, .gov, .mil, and .org) as defined in RFC0920 (October 1984).

I'm still seeing a few firewall hits on 70/tcp - SOMEBODY didn't get the word. But we have WAIS to figure that out. Maybe ask "archie"?

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Try

formatting link

It's gone https, BTW. []'s

Maybe they redirect to the correct site. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Webpage not available.

Connection problems only on this phone.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveller

Try pinging it:

ping en.wikipedia.org

It should respond with a much larger interval than

ping localhost

If timing is identical, check your hosts file. If it does not respond check your DNS has not been compromised. []'s

PS You never said where you live. Maybe your country blocks it. Crazy happens.

Reply to
Shadow

Pinged en.wikipedia.org, responded host not found.

Pinged google.com, it found Google and showed milliseconds.

How do I check host file on Android phone.

US of A

Reply to
Mysterious Traveller

"Host not found" indicates a DNS lookup problem. A few moments ago, DNS said en.wikipedia.org 208.80.154.224

[It also says
formatting link
has the same address.]

Try "ping 208.80.154.224". I'm guessing that'll work,

Unfortunately, although "https://208.80.154.224/wiki/Main_Page" will get something, it doesn't get the main page you're trying to reach. Their server appears to require the domain name (presumably in the usually invisible Host: header field derived from the URL, so that the server can tell whether you wanted www. , en. , or some other prefix).

If ping of the address works, look into the DNS server problem. -WBE

Reply to
Winston

Huh, I never knew of that document. RFC1591 (March 1994) adds the ever popular .INT (popular as in not really used, except for nato.int) and the country codes. That's the RFC I knew.

Floodgap: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/

Has a Veronica: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com:70/1/v2

But not an Archie. My recollection is Archie was for ftp searches. I remember getting results by email. And wikipedia confirms my recollections:

formatting link
formatting link

Elijah

------ has used gopher in 2017 (and 2016), but only to see if gopher still works

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Actually. ISO-3166 Country codes were part of RFC0920. If you really want to go back, have a look at RFC0819 from August 1982 - where there was _one_ domain proposed - .arpa (RFC0799 from September 1981 is one of the earlier proposals - lots of hand-waving, not much concrete.)

Was that a "whoosh-bird"? WAIS (Wide Area Information Server) was one of the first general search-engines - Try RFC1625. Haven't seen anyone stroking 210/tcp lately - so maybe they've given up on it.

"Veronica" (Very Easy Rodent Oriented Net-wide Index to Computerized Archives) was an index to gopher servers.

Supposedly, there is still one out-there. I'm not sure how useful it might be (see the wonkypedia page).

Way back then, there were a handful of systems out there, mainly running on college servers (but that pre-supposed you had real-time Internet access - many did not). I used to access the one at unl.edu via telnet - once you logged in (as user "archie") you could search the local listings - which might lead you to another archie server that had what you were looking for. Wonder how many remember servers like simtel20 or wuarchive, or the well-named "rtfm.mit.edu". I used to have a weekly cron-job that connected to sunsite to grab a copy of the /pub/linux/ls-lR.gz file (a recursive directory listing created nightly) so I could 'zdiff' it to see "what's new".

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

I remember using Archie and gopher a long time ago. But it does not help the guy with the DNS problems .... There was even a service where you sent an email with the URL and they sent you the archived webpage/file. Precious savings in the days of dialup connections and downloads charged by kilobyte. Was that a Simtel thing ? Can't remember. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

That was one of the ways you could use Archie. My first "home" computer was an Osborne 1 (running CP/M which predates M/S DOS) and came with an attached 300 baud modem. I was lucky in that the dialin server was a local call, but when the (local) storage media was a single-sided single density (91 kb) floppy, you weren't downloading for long (wow - it also had 64 k of RAM).

Simtel20 was a mainframe at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, and it had _hundreds_ of free-ware and share-ware programs. The "wuarchive" was at Washington University in St. Louis, and also had a huge amount of downloadable stuff - as did oakland.edu in Minnesota.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Wayback has a massive amount of those old collections with direct download:

formatting link

They only go back to the 90's though(as far as I could see). Look at the menu to the left. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.