WiFi without router or DHCP?

I have a system that consists of two mpeg encoders and an embedded PC, all connected to a switch. Each of the three devices has a fixed IP address. A fourth port on the switch goes to a connector for external connections to this system. The fixed IP addresses are as follows:

PC = 192.168.100.52 MPEG1 = 192.168.100.50 MPEG2 = 192.168.100.51 Subnet (all) = 255.255.255.0

I connect a notebook computer, also with a fixed IP address (192.168.100.55), to the external system connector with a CAT5 cable and use it to simultaneously display the two video streams (3Mb/s each) and to control the system.

There is no router nor gateway as the notebook applications each communicate directly to the system components at their fixed IP addresses. This is all functioning properly.

My desire is to set up a wireless connection such that I can use the internal wireless-g adapter on the notebook computer to connect to the system in place of the cable.

I purchased a D-Link DWL-2100AP access point and configured it as an access point with an IP address of 192.168.100.53 and no security. I then connected it to the system switch. The notebook wireless IP address is 192.168.100.54. The notebook computer was able to detect and connect to the wireless access point. However, I could not ping the system components from the notebook nor ping the notebook from the embedded PC within the system.

Any advice regarding this wireless application would be appreciated.

-- David Orlando, FL

Reply to
knavekid
Loading thread data ...

[snipped out brief description of his LAN, which has no WAN connections, and on which he wants limited wireless access]

It sounds like you are taking the proper approach, by connecting a "Wireless Access Point" to the fourth connector in your Ethernet switch. When configured and operating without encryption as you describe, a Wireless Access Point works almost like an Ethernet Hub. It should work. The fact that your notebook machine is successfully detecting and connecting with the Wireless Access Point is encouraging, and indicates that a lot of things are OK. Are you sure that the IP address 192.168.100.54 is associated with the WIRELESS interface of the notebook (not the wired ethernet adapter)? It is possible for a wireless network card to negotiate a connection (ISO Layer 2) without successfully negotiating an IP address (ISO Layer 3).

One other possibility: perhaps your Ethernet Switch is confused for some reason. Perhaps if you reset it or just give it a few minutes to learn the new MAC address of your Wireless Access Point it will just start working.

I hope this helps...

Bob Bosen

formatting link
(Instructional videos for people with work to do)

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Thanks for your quick reply. The wireless IP address was verified. One thing I didn't try is resetting the switch. The system was powered up the whole time. I have never had to reset a switch when connecting computers to the network.

Upon further investigation I found some things that don't make sense to me. The access point is configured as an 802.11g only access point as opposed to a bridge, ad hoc, etc. The notebook computer connection to the access point reports an 11 Mbps ad hoc network connection. I have some more tinkering to do.

Thanks for indicating that I am on the right track. The encouragement is appreciated.

-- David

Reply to
knavekid

Neither have I - 4 port switch connected to Belkin wireless AP for laptop. The AP has been powered off and on many times while I have been looking at other channels in the locality.

With my laptop, I can browse to the AP setup web page (192.168.0.254 on my system). Is there any chance your laptop (esp. if XP) is connecting to something else?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.