WiFi vs. DUN question

I'm running an IBM T23 with Win2K Pro Sp4. My wireless setup consists of an Atheros MiniPCI card and Linksys 7dbi antennas mounted to the back of the screen.

I also have a Zonet cardbus phone modem installed. I have signed up for both a Netzero and a Juno free internet account.

What I'm worried about is that running the downloaded software to install these services might wreak havoc on my wireless settings. I've heard many say that the #2 internet virus is AOL (Windows itself being #1 - lol) so I would NEVER use an AOL installation disc.

I've used Netzero and Juno on another PC with no issues but like I said, I'm worried - I used WiFi 99.999% of the time but I would like the flexibility of being able to use a telephone line for internet access if I need it......

Should I back up my registry before running these programs?

What do you guys think?

Reply to
Ken Bessler
Loading thread data ...

personally, i do an image backup of the OS and programs partition as well as backing up the registry before i install ANYTHING...new stuff or upgrades. every now and then something in the install just doesn't go right and thanks to the image backup i can easily restore one or both partitions to its pre-install state. no muss, no fuss.

beyond that if you're worried about viruses then scan those cd's before using them.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

I use DUN with Earthlink. I am using it right now. I didn't have to run any install cd, although Earthlink has one. I just got on the cellular phone with Earthlink's support and they gave me the information I needed to make the DUN connection from the hotel, which had nothing to do with the registry.

It was more for OE that the configuration happened, as Earthlink's SMTP is not on tcp port 25. It's port 587. There were no registry changes period.

All you should have to do with a DUN connection is give the user-id and psw needed to connect with your email, NG, and browser programs (the user-id and PSW are entered in the configuration of the programs) and are given to connect the ISP's DUN network during the connection process. There are no registry changes.

On the other hand, when I want to use the hotel's wireless high speed BB connection, I disconnect the DUN connection, push in the wireless card in it's pciam slot, the card does the seek for the wireless network because of XP's Zero Configuration, it connects, and I am good to go on the wireless for the browsers.

As far as your Win 2K pro on the DUN, you should be able to do the same as I did.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.