WiFi vs DSL

Would someone please explain the advantage of adding a WiFi router to an existing DSL connection?

Bill

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Um...how about being able to access the connection wirelessly?

Seriously, what are you planning or hoping to do that you can't do now? Let us know and we'll be happy to advise as to whether Wi-Fi can help you do it.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

"Bill" hath wroth:

Sure. Wireless doesn't have any wires between the computah and the router. If these are located next to each other, there's little benifit and CAT5 cable should be used. However, if you want to wander around the house, or running cables is difficult, wireless is one of several solutions. Also, if you are buying a router, the wireless option adds very little additional cost.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is it a trick question???? Presumably so you can use the DSL conneciton wirelessly.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Speed. DSL is faster than WiFi.

Reply to
Rodney Muers

Rodney Muers hath wroth:

Wrongo. The fastest DSL you can buy (without bonding multiple DSL lines) is about 6Mbit/sec which will deliver 4.8Mbit/sec on a good day.

To match that speed exactly with wireless, you would require a

9Mbit/sec OFDM connection, which has a thruput of about half, or 4.5Mbit/sec. Faster wireless connections go proportionately faster. I routinely get 20-25Mbits/sec with a 54MBit/sec wireless connection.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Then your WIFI ISP must be doing things correctly. In my rural community, the speed sucks at times.

I would prefer DSL over wifi.

Reply to
Rodney Muers

Rodney Muers hath wroth:

Interference, path obstructions, Fresnel diffraction, weather, folliage attenuation, etc. Life is tough for wireless.

The original question was about *ADDING* a Wi-Fi router to an existing DSL connection, not about alternatives to DSL. Totally different issue and question.

You are somewhat correct about WISP (wireless internet service provider) performance using Wi-Fi. DSL downloads are generally faster than what WISP's usually deliver. However, that may not be true for uploads. WISP usually supply symmetrical service, where the download and upload speeds are identical. DSL throttles the upload speed to some fraction of the upload. For example, my 1.5Mbit/sec download DSL line only gets 256Kbits/sec upload speed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't mean to beat a dead horse since my question was pretty well covered. The original purpose though phrased improperly had to do with understanding the NEED for a DSL line. Browsing router tutorials the instructions say to connect the router to a cable modem or DSL which confused me since I thought wireless meant without wires as one responder pointed out.

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.