WiFi VLANs?

Is there an easy way to have a number of different SSIDs on a single AP, like "Public" and "Private"?

I'd like the "Public" SSID to have no security and allow open access, but only allow Internet access.

I'd like a second SSID, "Private", to have WPA, and be able to talk to LAN machines.

Is this something I need a WiFi AP with VLANs for? I'm sort of imagining each SSID would become a VLAN, and some kind of managed switch would allow everyone access to the broadband router (for DHCP services, broadband access), but only secure clients would be able to see the LAN machines (file and print servers, etc).

[Linksys WAP54GP has multiple SSIDs, but they'll only ever broadcast the first one, none of the others can ever have SSID broadcast turned on...]

I know how to do this with multiple routers, switches, and APs, but that seems unnessesarily complex.

Any thoughts? Any tutorials on VLANs that anyone can reccomend, if that's the solution I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Try cisco - their APs allow multiple SSIDs, and can connect them to different VLANs on the Ethernet port. 1 common app is to have an internal authenticated VLAN, and a "guest" VLAN.

formatting link
look for the ref design for wireless, or try here:
formatting link

Reply to
stephen_hope

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.