WiFi Stumbler

Meraki have produced a browser based sniffer

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the WiFi Stumbler?

A: The WiFi Stumbler is a browser-based wireless scanner tool that detects 802.11 wireless networks and displays useful information about the networks in an easily searchable, intuitive web interface. WiFi Stumbler can be used to optimize wireless network coverage, troubleshoot performance issues, detect rogue APs and perform basic pre-deployment site surveys.

Q: Can I use WiFI Stumbler when I am not connected to the Internet?

A: If your browser supports offline mode (currently only Firefox), then it can load WiFi Stumbler from its offline cache. This means that WiFi Stumbler will work in these browsers even when you are not connected to the Internet, as long as your wireless card is enabled. Simply visit the Stumbler page using Firefox once you are connected to the Internet. The site will ask for permission to use offline storage. Grant this permission, bookmark the page and you can revisit whenever you need to use WiFi Stumbler.

Q: How does the WiFi Stumbler work?

A: WiFi Stumbler captures data about nearby wireless networks from your computer's wireless card and displays it as a web page. It can even work when you are not connected to the Internet if your browser supports offline mode (currently Firefox only).

Q: Why is Stumbler a web-based tool instead of standalone, downloadable software?

A: By running in a browser, there is no need to download software to your computer. This makes it very easy to load and use since no software installation is required. It also can run on either a PC or Mac, unlike most downloadable software applications. In addition, as we will be continually adding new features to Stumbler, you will automatically get the latest version of the tool each time you reload the page.

Q: The WiFi Stumbler doesn't load on my computer/in my browser. Why not?

A: WiFi Stumbler requires Java support and does not currently support Linux. If your browser does not support Java or you are running Linux and you try to load WiFi Stumbler, you will receive an error message in your browser window. Currently, Google Chrome for Mac does not support Java so it will not run WiFi Stumbler. WiFi Stumbler is also currently a beta stage tool; if you encounter other problems getting Stumbler to load, please let us know using the Make a Wish box at the bottom of the page.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:55:58 +0000, Bob wrote in :

Nice.

It's "Wi-Fi", not "WiFi".

Reply to
John Navas

nitpick "Meraki WiFi Stumbler"

Reply to
Bob

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:49:11 +0000, Bob wrote in :

So what? It's misuse of a term of art.

Reply to
John Navas

Twaddle In no way does it engage my senses or emotions.

Wi-Fi is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Reply to
Bob

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:23:00 +0000, Bob wrote in :

Your problem, not mine.

Reply to
John Navas

Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

WiFi

basic

Internet?

Firefox),

enabled.

connected to

storage.

whenever

browser

software to

reload

getting

Seems to me using this would risk privacy invasion on the part of those "sniffing" your data. Certainly could not use with anything that might contain a transmitted password or other personal data. Guess I really do not understand just what the usefulness of this would be other than trying to hack unauthorized connections. Maybe to troubleshoot local networks.

Reply to
fufu

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:33:38 +0000 (UTC), fufu wrote in :

There's no privacy issue. It's a Site Survey tool. See

Reply to
John Navas

Sniffing is much like looking in a phone directory for someones address. Just because you know where they live, doesn't magically give you access to what's inside their house. It's the same with wireless. The MAC addresses are all send in the clear and not encrypted. That's like your address and is generally considered public information. What's not available are the constents of the encrypted data packets, which contain all kinds of interesting information that might result in a privacy leak. As long as the encryption is functional and unbroken, there's no privacy invasion possible.

Actually, I've found two wireless lans that also used the SSID as their WPA password. I found one and explained to the semi-intoxicated owner what was happening. He claimed he understood, but it's still unchanged about 6 months later. Oh well.

1. Check of interference on specific channels. There are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 8, 11). The trick is to find a channel that's NOT being used for your LAN. If not, start thinking about
5.7Ghz. 802.11a.
  1. Track down the source of Wi-Fi interference.
  2. Identify users of junk wireless routers and try to sell them something better. I've tried this a few times with mixed results.
  3. Collect traffic statistics (error rate, retransmissions, etc).
  4. Find the dingbat with the new MIMO router that's hogging the entire 2.4GHz band with a 40Mhz wide HD video feed so that he doesn't have to run an HDMI or ethernet cable 10 ft across his living room. I've already given away one ethernet cable to get one of these off the air.
  5. Identify potential municipal Wi-Fi or mesh network nodes for internet access.
  6. Find the idiot with the 1 watt power amplifier trying to drill through 5 brick walls to his router.
  7. Whatever else I forgot.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This java script really only displays the same information as the wifi adapter does when set to scan - it's a bit of a con really - and certainly no more of a privacy issue than the basic adapter software.

Not much to get excited about.

Reply to
me here

Yes and no. It's using my Airport Extreme for scanning, obviously, and it displays my wireless info, and my next door neighbour's. But Airport by itself only shows _my_ network _unless_ the Meraki applet is running. Next door is weak -- maybe Airport has a threshold of some kind.

Hmm. The guy's still on WEP. I should hack it. Although his password is probably his wife's name ...

Reply to
Warren Oates

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Since I am connecting from am unencrypted public AP, I won't be using their sniffer ;-). I used TOR when I need to keep my data transfers private, so I guess I might try it with TOR.

Where are they? I need a few more APs, hahahah

Use one of the usual attacks to break into private APs and assume their ID? ;-) Find out information on the Cox employee who pretends to come by your residence to sell you net access when he is really trying to find out who it is that is using their AP at what location?

Reply to
p

Did he _really_ pick something so secret and unusual? Wow - most users choose one of the 86 passwords the 'deloader' worm (CERT Advisory CA-2003-08) was looking for in March 2003:

[NULL] 0 000000 00000000 007 1 110 111 111111 11111111 12 121212 123 123123 1234 12345 123456 1234567 12345678 123456789 1234qwer 123abc 123asd 123qwe 2002 2003 2600 54321 654321 88888888 Admin Internet Login Password a aaa abc abc123 abcd admin admin123 administrator alpha asdf computer database enable foobar god godblessyou home ihavenopass login love mypass mypass123 mypc mypc123 oracle owner pass passwd password pat patrick pc pw pw123 pwd qwer root secret server sex super sybase temp temp123 test test123 win xp xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx yxcv zxcv

That first one ( [NULL] ) really means none (hit the enter key). I wonder how many idiots have chosen one of these because they think that no one could _possibly_ guess such a secret/complex set of letters and/or numbers. Of course, that assumes the password was changed from the factory default.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Most of those listed will not work with WEP. Assuming an ASCII key (not a Hex key), it has to be exactly either 5 or 10 characters long, which corresponds to 64 or 128bit WEP encryption.

My favorite throw away WEP/WPA password is "changethis". Note that it's exactly 10 characters so that it will work with both WEP and WPA.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:34:15 +0000 (UTC), p wrote in :

What makes you think Tor is actually real protection? Faith?

And those are just the _known_ weaknesses. I'm reminded of WEP. And TKIP. And on and on.

Reply to
John Navas
[CERT Advisory CA-2003-08 ``passwords'']

[selene ~]$ sed -n '247,264'p worms/deloder | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep ^.....$ | column login admin super alpha owner 54321 Admin 12345 Login pw123 [selene ~]$

Well, there's ten of the 86 ;-)

and will never be changed. We work under a different concept - the default is going to be something like

[selene ~]$ head -2 /dev/random | mimencode | cut -c20-29 | tail -1 tqF+eE204n [selene ~]$

"tqF+eE204n" is given to them on a piece of paper - along with the output of 'whatis passwd' as a hint. The password is changed (probably to one of those listed in CA-2003-08) when they discover how hard it is to type that mess consistently - certainly not later than when they loose the paper the second time.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@navasgroup.com:

Subject: Re: WiFi Stumbler From: John Navas Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:34:15 +0000 (UTC), p wrote in :

using their

private, so I

What makes you think Tor is actually real protection? Faith?

And those are just the _known_ weaknesses. I'm reminded of WEP. And TKIP. And on and on.

Reply to
p

I was under the impression that TOR was an anonymizer, not an end to end encryption tunnel as in a VPN. The data sent between the TOR exit proxy server and the destination is not encrypted.

Tor cannot and does not attempt to protect against monitoring of traffic at the boundaries of the Tor network, i.e., the traffic entering and exiting the network.

TOR is great security if you don't want anyone to know where your packets are coming from, but not very useful if you're worried about someone sniffing your "sensitive data".

I don't have an answer to what harm you might do using TOR. Inflamatory political messages, stalking ex-spouses, spam, hate mail, impersonating someone, online hacking, disagreeing with me, and other internet activities where hiding your identity would be required, seems like a good start.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@navasgroup.com:

transfers

(Don't know what happened to my newserver, but hiccups occur occasionally.)

There is nothing that you can get when using TOR if the connection is SSL because it is encrypted end to end. The only people who possible can read data (other than garbage encryption) is people like the NSA and since I am not a terrorist, I have little to fear from them.

Reply to
p

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

exchange?

about

It's end to end if you use SSL--->torentrynode----onionrouted--->

torexitnode--->host (ssl decrypted by host)

unless some gov agency breaks the ecryption algorithm for tor and for ssl, your data is safe, in so far as it is possible to ever be safe on the net.

Reply to
p

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.