WiFi signal boosters

Hi I was looking for signal/range boosters. In fact, still I couldn't find out the best product to fit my needs. I live in a building that is covered by wireless network. Now, the coverage is not that good every where in my apartment. I want to be able to get good receiption every where in my apartment. I want a device that will enable me to pick up the signal and amplify it so that I can get better receiption. I've no access to the base station in my building So, what are my options? Note: The building is using linksys wireless router

Reply to
Yjamous
Loading thread data ...

Your option, there is only one, is to give more information on what equipment you have...

The only sensible way to "get a bestter reception" is to use a better (read: directional) antenna in your apartment.. point it towards the sender.

Reply to
Doz

Hi. I'll take a shot at this (new here, been studying up- so please correct me anybody)

There are several options, depending. If you indicate what you have, desktop, laptop and how they pick up the signal, that will help a lot.

"Repeating" the signal may be what you want to do. You have reception in some parts of your place but want to use your computer in other parts. The repeater can receive the signal from a good vantage point in your apt and resend it a full strength from there for better local coverage.

First you want to find out what the building's router is for sure. Probably is a Linksys WRT54G. Just for kicks, try pasting 192.168.1.1 into your browser while online through it. This is the default location for it's control panel. You will probably see a logon screen asking for a password that identifies the router number somewhere as well. That's all you need to know -forget about logging on.

In anycase, find the system administrator for your building and ask as well. Tell them that you want to put a repeater in your apt. Confirm which router it is and that it is stock, no special firmware and see if they are cooperative.

The Linksys WAP54G claims to work as a repeater for the WRT54G router . There are instructions for setting the WAP54G as a repeater on the linksys website.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Thanks all for your replies Let me re-phrase my problem

I'm living in a building. In my living room I have signal from the Wireless router, but it's week (1 or 2 lines become green) and it keeps disconnecting.

What I want to do:

1) Be able to make this signal stronger and be able to connect from laptop. My laptop has built in Wireless Network antennas. 2) I want also to be able to connect from my office (another room).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I've a repeater that works on same protocol that the router (AP) is using, then I should not worry much?

I'm thinking of getting DLink repeater (if repeater is what is required).

Many thanks

seaweedsteve wrote:

Reply to
Yjamous

Looks like you decided to ignore my advice above.

You are wrong. You should worry much.

You had better have the same brand and of the same generation if you want any assurance that they will work together. To be sure, you want to find somewhere on the mfg website or elsewhere that somebody says " the WAP54G DOES work with the WRT54G"

Or you could just run around in circles

You don't want Dlink if the main router is Linksys. What I said before.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

:) You seems to take things seriously ...lol

The reason I came up to my conclusion is simple.

When you say I've a TCP/IP network, it does not matter whether your computer is IBM and network is CISCO. Eventually it is a standard way of communication that uses specific protocol and specifications.

I tried to apply this logic to WiFi which should be some how standard, but I could be mistaken!!!

Anyway, thanks for the advise

PS: I tried to access this router, and I was challenged with username/password. But no > Looks like you decided to ignore my advice above.

Reply to
Yjamous

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

What me worry? In this case, you should worry.

The problem with repeaters and WDS access points is that they were poorly defined in IEEE 802.11-1999. As I understand it, little effort or through was put into their implimentation because most of the committee agreed that it was a bad idea. However, a basic framework was inscribed with the intention of cleaning it up later. Later never happened. Eventually, chipset manufacturers decided to do repeaters and WDS on their own, resulting in incompatibilities. Some of the differences are just minor timing differences.

A clue is that the Wi-Fi Alliance does NOT test or certify repeaters or WDS bridges. |

formatting link
does ethernet clients, USB clients, access points, print servers, PDA, cellular, and smart card wireless, but not repeaters and WDS.

Even buying from a single manufactory is no guarantee of compatibility. The problem is that each of the bottom of the line manufactories purchase designs and boards from multiple vendors, which can use different chipsets. There's a high risk of incompatibility when mixing chipsets.

In the case of repeaters, most manufactories will limit which of their products will work with a specific repeater. Sometimes, they even test that it works. For example, the Dlink DWL-G800AP is listed as only being compatible with: This device will only repeat the following: # DI-624 (revC) 2.37 and higher # DWL-2000AP (revA) 1.56 and higher # DWL-2000AP (revB) 2.06 and higher # DWL-G800AP (revA) 1.02 and higher

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Whatever the brand the router is I would suggested you purchase the booster of the same brand to reduce possible issues gettting them to work together.

Reply to
Eugene J. Maes

Please... they are not "boosters" a booster implies amplification.. as in boosting the signal.

It's an extender.. as in extending the signal. sheesh!

Reply to
Doz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.