WiFi setup for B&B - dup all AP's with same SSID ?

WE just stayed at a B&B that had some WiFi setup...

It looks like there was a WRT54G somewhere, but then they had a couple of Ubiquiti devices attached to the ceiling areas on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the old mansion we stayed at.

BUT - there was a problem - On the 1st floor - I could get connected to the AP, and get out to the Internet. One the 2nd floor AP and the 3rd floor AP - I could get connected to the WiFi, but NOT get an IP address, and therefore nothing else.

So - sitting on the first floor, connected, I brought up my WiFi Analyzer App - and I could see all 3 WAP signals - all with the SAME SSID, but on different non-overlap channels.

Not sure where the problem might be location.... For a situation where you have installed multiple WAP devices, does it make sense to have them all use the same SSID, and I'm hoping use only a single DHCP server in the main router ?

Wish I could have played a little with the devices, but this was a quick couple of days relaxing during spring break.

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

It looks like this was all fine - just not working - I could see each of the WAPs on my WiFi Analyzer App, and they all had assigned IP addresses... so the ethernet must have been ok. Just a techy mystery

ceiling mounted WAP -

formatting link

and one of these for the back yard and coach house area -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.