WiFi setup assistance needed

Hi, I am completely new to wireless. I have just bought a Dell TrueMobile Wireless 1450 802.11gba WLAN Mini PCI in my Inspiron 8500 notebook. I downloaded and installed the driver and through trial and error I have it talking to another HP notebook using the ad hoc setting. Both notebooks are running Win XP Pro.

The little green indicator in the status bar on both notebooks report the signal strength as excellent. There is also another icon in the system trays showing the health of the WLAN connection. Both report a large number of packets sent but none received. Is this normal?

What I really want to do is copy some files between computers. I guess this is done by file sharing but I haven't a clue as to how to go about this. How do I move files between the two computers now that I have established some type of relationship between them?

Thanks,

Reply to
Pete
Loading thread data ...

AD-Hoc wireless and XP is flaky to say the least about it.

No it's not normal. If packets are being sent to another machine, then packets should be received from the other machine.

You should make it easy on your self and get a wire/wireless AP router and use infrastructure mode.

You may want to look at this XP Pro or Home it cannot be that much or no difference.

formatting link
If all else fails use wire. You might be able to apply it to AD-Hoc wireless too XP Pro or Home it cannot be that much or no difference.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.