WiFi product chip sets

Can you tell me what IC company offer WiFi IP consumer product chip sets? I am talking about chip set with ready applications for WiFi wireless camera type of consumer electronics products. Thank you.

Reply to
April2006
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:09:02 GMT, "April2006" wrote in :

Atheros Broadcom Conexant Marvell Philips Texas Instruments ... lots more

Atheros and Marvell are arguably the leaders.

Reply to
John Navas

Some provide data about their chipsets, others won't even publish a pinout of their chips...

So do your research and make sure you can get tech data.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:30:19 -0700, Captain Dondo wrote in :

Assuming you qualify as an OEM, all chipset vendors provide specs (including pinouts), and most provide evaluation kits with reference designs.

Reply to
John Navas

"April2006" hath wroth:

ADMTek Agere (Lucent) Airgo Aironet Atheros Atmel Broadcom InProComm Intel (Centrino) Intersil/Frisbee IPW (Intel) Javelin Marvel NWN (3com) Orinoco Philips (Centrino) Prism (Harris/Intersil/etc) Ralink Realtek Symbol Texas Instruments Zydas

Some drivel:

- Intel 2100 series Centrino uses wireless chips from Philips.

- IPW is Intel ProSet Wireless starting with 2200.

- Orinocco is actually a mess of manufacturers (in order) from: Wavelan, Orinoco, Lucent, Agere, Avaya, and Proxim which use Prism chipsets from Harris, Intersil, Conexant, Frisbee, and Javelin.

- Symbol uses various chip foundries.

- NWN is "No Wires Needed" in Netherlands. I think (not sure) they're now part of Alvarion/Breezecom.

- Aironet is owned by Cisco.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you very much, Jeff.

Can you please tell me where do you find these info and how do you do this research? What site do you use and what key words do you use?

Which are the popular chip set with wide consumer usage? On what consumer product? What the future growth of WiFi business? What is the good business opportunities? Thank you for your advise.

Reply to
April2006

"April2006" hath wroth:

Sigh. I recycles my own posting to alt.internet.wireless a few years ago. |

formatting link
don't recall where I obtained the list. I might have scraped parts from here: |
formatting link
are also a few recent startups that I left out.

Broadcom, Intel, and Prism own the bulk of the market. However, each of these vendors have multiple chipset designed for specific target applications. I can probably dig out sales figures, but I'm lazy tonite.

I have some ideas in this area, but I'm certainly not going to give them away for free. Sorry, but I have to pass.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Can you tell us what IC chip set do Vonage and UTStarcom phone uses?

Reply to
April2006

dOn Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:51:53 GMT, "April2006" wrote in :

As always, "Google is your friend:"

Reply to
John Navas

"April2006" hath wroth:

Not offhand. Both manufacturers have several models. I suggest you obtain the model numbers and FCCID from these products and look them up on the FCCID web site. There's quite a bit of internal information there. You can usually identify the chipset from the internal photos.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.