WiFi Printer server with Multi function printer

Has anybody used a Wireless Printer server with a multi function printer? I want to connect my Canon LaserBase MF5630 to my WiFi network so that any computer on the network can use it. But will the scan functions work as well?

Buckratz

Reply to
Buckratz
Loading thread data ...

Most print servers only support printing. In my experience, sharing of other features is not supported without a proprietary solution from the vendor.

Even if you "shared" the MultiFunction from a direct connection (parallel or USB) you would only be able to print. Only the locally connected machine can access the fax, copy and scan features since TWAIN does not work over a LAN.

If you find a way to do it, I would love to know.

Reply to
JohnQ

and I tried a Lexmark 5270 on d-link dp-g310. Same result- noth'n. my canon works though, but that's just a printer (i850).

Reply to
Damase

and in many cases, even this won't work. I have a lexmark 5100 and this simply won't work at all via a print server.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Teddybare

like i said the lexmark does not even do that. It does nothing. And that was my point. I was trying to use it as a printer but could not get it to work in any way at all with the wireless print server.

Reply to
Damase

Thanks for the feedback, chaps, even if it is mostly not very encouraging! Has anybody used a "wireless USB device server" such as the Silex Pricom SX-3700WB? Rather more expensive than other print servers, but claims to work with multifuntion printers...

Buckratz

Reply to
Buckratz

before you buy it, ask them if it will for sure work with your MFD, and will support all functions. If they say yes, get it in writing..

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Good advice, thanks, Mark

Buckratz

Reply to
Buckratz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.