wifi mystery

Hello all,

I have a desktop (SP2), a laptop (SP2) and an AP/router to set up.

Both laptop and AP have the same SSID, channel number....

Right now firewall and antivirus are disabled on all machines and the AP is set to accept all connections from all Wireless machines without WEP or WPA.

On the laptop the broadcom util (3.70.17.0) tells me that I am connected, I can see packets moving back and forth but I can't ping the machines or the router from the laptop.

The AP is 192.168.0.1 and the other machines have fixed IPs 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.13.

I really don't know why it tells me it's connected and nothing works, not even ping on "wide opened" machines without firewall or anything (meaning no windows fiurewall and the "real" one is disabled for the time being).

What could it be ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Txl
Loading thread data ...

Any reason you didn't bother to disclose the make and model of the router? Unreleased product or too small type size?

Which firewalls and anti-virus programs? I've had far too much entertainment value trying to convince Norton's Internet Security Firewall to turn off and stay off. The Windoze XP SP2 firewall turns off nicely but do check the Exceptions tab and make sure ping is enabled.

I wish I could do that. For some reason, my eyes can't see 2.4Ghz. I'll ask the optometrist if he has a fix.

Can't ping usually returns some kind of error message such as "no route to host", "interface down", or some configuration error message. What error are you getting when you try ping?

Do these "other machines" have an ethernet wired port? If so, forget about wireless for the moment and see if they work via a wired connection. That will eliminate any firewall, anti-virus, or parental control issues. If it works, unplug and continue troubleshooting the wireless. If not, fix the XP SP2 configuration.

Any chance you have MAC address or IP address filtering enabled in your unspecified wireless router? Is so, turn it off for now. If you feel ambitious, just do a grand reset and start over on the router.

You've apparently used fixed IP address on the clients. What did you use for a gateway? Hopefully, it's 192.168.0.1. Make sure by running: Start -> Run -> cmd ipconfig Strictly speaking, you don't need a default gateway for ping to work, but it does help in getting to the internet via the router.

Also run: ping 192.168.0.1 arp -a and see if it returns a proper MAC address and IP address pair.

Other useful commands are: tracert 192.168.0.1 (where are my packets going?) route print (where are my packets suppose to go?) netstat -rn (same as above)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Some of those machines (ap) can't manage IP ranges bigger than 8 or so. Just try to configure the laptop IP into that values.

"Txl" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Mario Valladares

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.