WiFi Interference: Is 802.11a and better than b/g ?

Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to interference than 802.11b/g is ?

Do 5Ghz cordless phones share spectrum with 802.11a ?

I've got a user in a 100 year-old building in Manhattan (plaster walls and 16 ft ceilings) who wants me to put in a 20 desk network. Installing copper in this office would be a huge job.

The office is a couple thousand sq ft, divided with sheetrock walls, which are OK for WiFi signal strength. A test of 802.11b WiFi finds 8 other networks (!), some of them with strong signals. Did I say all the offices have large windows overlooking other nearby office buildings ?

This guy depends on his computer network to meet hard business deadlines and I won't put in a b/g WiFi network and have it screw up on him. An "a" network would at least be oblivious to the b/g networks in the area.

Comments ?

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

Yes, because there are less "a" networks to interfere. BG has to compete with other wireless lans, microwave ovens, baby monitors and

2.4 phones. For co-location there are also 8 non-overlapping channels available instead of 3. Note: any narrowband or all-band interference could affect either one if in their frequency.

No, 802.11a uses the UNII lower and middle band indoors (5.15 to

5.25ghz and 5.25 to 5.35ghz). (reserved for wireless lans) 5 ghz phones use the ISM band of 5.725 to 5.875 or somewhere in that area.

networks

I agree, sounds like the best solution for the circumstances

Reply to
Airhead

a has DFS in specs, thats the only reason besides frequency

go for a,but dont forget to VPN every single bit on his network

Pozdrawiam.

Reply to
RusH

Just keep in mind that "A" also deteriorates considerably with distance.

Something to keep in mind when you're planning it out. I like my 1200 with 802.11A module.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

And the band usable for 802.11a provides more channels, thus more non-overlapping channels.

Reply to
Simon Leinen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.