Wifi In Mexico

I visit Sonora state of Mexico each winter for a couple of months. I stay in a location with no landline about a mile from a town that has DSL available. I have the hardware and knowlege to transmit a signal from a friend's house in town out to my location.

The friend works for the local phone company Telmex. He asked his superiors if it was OK to transmit his DSL connection a mile. They stated "no, it's illegal". Does anyone know Mexican wifi rules well enough to advise? We're they just "blowing smoke" ? Or, is truly illegal to use an A/P and a bridge to transmit an internet connection in Mexico?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you can go to the Telmex site and see if they have a terms of agreement for internet use. Most likely the answer your friend got was made up on the fly, though it could be true.

Living in Mexico, I can comment that the law is very different here than the US. There are laws on the books, but the actual system in use has little to do with the laws and much more to do with interpersonal politics and how much money any given law enforcement agent feels that he needs at the moment. It is always and constantly negotiated on the fly. You can obey all possible known laws and be attacked by the law for invented or imagined infractions in any case.

You also can break almost every law in the book and be totally ignored if nobody sees you as a target for income. They just don't work the way we do.

One example would be driver's licenses and license plates. The law,just like in the US requires these. In my area, almost none of the local drivers has a license and the police don't enforce it. One is simply foolish to bother. There are no tests and if you want a license, you buy it. Plates are typically used, but it's up to the officer and none of the motorcycles use them here - the motorcycle drivers are mostly kids under 16 years old. I've seen 14 year olds driving big trucks.

The only time I was fined here was for doing a right on red. I told the officer I thought it was legal in Mexico like the US, he said it was not and fined me. I looked it up later, and it IS legal. On the other hand, all the taxi drivers run the red lights, and the police don't care. Extremely dangerous.

So, good luck sorting out what written law is and remember that it does not apply.

Personally, I'd just do it and be discreet. I know that goes against many folks here who feel more certain about what's right and wrong, but I doubt they live in Mexico.

Reply to
seaweedsl

By the way, another option is to get yourself a satellite rig. Hughesnet dishes/modems are selling for $400 on Ebay. Learn to install it and take it down with you. Put it on vacation hold while you are gone, or take it back with you and use in the US.

If you are doing this, go to a sat forum (broadband reports) and get up to speed on that - make sure you understand which systems will work in Sonora. Probably all of them, though.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Rereading my answer and your question, I realize I mostly missed the point. It's not about laws, but terms of service.

Still the cultural aspect is the same. You need to know what practice or application is in effect, not just the words. Probably have to ask around to people in that region. Look for antennas....

Reply to
seaweedsl

Rereading, I realize that I was off-base with the idea of laws. It's terms of service that you are considering. Sorry.

Still, the cultural context comments apply.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Mexican wireless communications is governed by Cofetel, the commission of federal telecommunications. To the best of my recollection, output power is limited to 600 mW (about 27.8 dBm). Mexico City has public Wi-Fi network. Therefore using a an access point is legal.

However Telmex may have customer user policies in place that prohibit sharing of your internet connection. If you were to adopt a "business relationship" with your friend, that might circumvent the "sharing" prohibition.

Considering the checkered history of Telmex that fosters a third world mentality of interpreting rules and regulations that lends to procclaiming something illegal to encourage bribery, I'd say "blowing smoke".

Reply to
DTC

There are several of us "turistas" at the out of town location who would be willing to pay for the friend to get a second DSL circuit installed to his house and then I'd beam it to the out of town location. Skype was the "killer" application last winter and I was hoping to use my Vonage this year.

Satellite wouldn't do the job since VOIP is the MOST desired application. Since the friend works for Telmex, we definitely don't want to arrange anything that would put his employment at risk. Looks like I'll have to keep looking and plotting LOL. The replies here are very informative. Thanks much.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nothing wrong with that. If it's your connection and not his, then it's your option to run wireless off of your connection. I can't see where distance comes into play.

That's one of the three big pitfalls of Sat; VOIP, VPN and gaming. On our Hughesnet pro-plus account, I do use yahoo messenger voice to do pc to pc calls, no problem, except for the delay. Sometimes I can call a landline or cell, but I never expect anything but pc-pc calls to work.

I think it was a mistake to ask Telmex.

Sorry for the double post earlier.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

It probably falls under the "it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" category.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

This is Mexico, remember. "Forgiveness" comes out of a pistol barrel, while "permission" comes out of a billfold, in US dollahs.

Reply to
Warren Oates

LOL

Actually though, nobody asks permission- but if they catch you, forgiveness definitely comes out of the wallet.

Money is almost always the motivation for enforcing any rule or law...at least where I am. It may be a bit more like the US in Northern Mex...

The gun factor comes into play more as a tool for managing criminal/ political competition or dealing with complications.

Then there's always the whole macho wild west factor...."he insulted me or looked at me funny- so I kilt him"

But neither of those are related to TelMex - they are world class masters at robbing the populace "with a fountain pen" instead of a gun. Owner of TelMex is the richest man in the world !

Americans would scream bloody murder if they had to live with the TelMex monopoly. 40 cents a minute LOCAL cell calls to landlines under the "Amigo" system

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.